Trump’s latest tweets cross clear lines, experts say: Obstruction of justice and witness tampering

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
I say "sky is blue"
you say "no, I said what color it was in the OP"
I read op where it says "sky is blue"
I post "we agree then the sky is blue"
You return "prove the sky is blue"

Really?!?!
no. My position is that Trump is deliberately sending signals to witnesses about how they testify. He even put the word "testify" in his tweet ( since that was one of your standards ). It may amount to witness tampering. Or it may not. That's my position. You're disagreeing with that. But, your only basis for doing so is saying my position is "stupid". I sure would like to know what your take is on Trump commenting on witness testimony?

Nov 2010
Massachusetts
That's absurd.
Witness tampering: Witness tampering is the act of attempting to alter or prevent the testimony of witnesses within criminal or civil proceedings.

The statement was made AFTER the fact.

Like I said before; it is taking some serious creative license to apply that label.
His tweets are regarding ONGOING criminal trials. What “after the fact” are you referring to?

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
no. My position is that Trump is deliberately sending signals to witnesses about how they testify. He even put the word "testify" in his tweet ( since that was one of your standards ). It may amount to witness tampering. Or it may not. That's my position. You're disagreeing with that. But, your only basis for doing so is saying my position is "stupid". I sure would like to know what your take is on Trump commenting on witness testimony?
AFTER THE TESTIMONY.

THE DEFINITION REQUIRES THIS OCCUR BEFORE THE TESTIMONY!!!

When I cheer that my team won the hockey game, after the game is over, I'm NOT INFLUENCING THE GAME!!!

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
His tweets are regarding ONGOING criminal trials. What “after the fact” are you referring to?
After Roger Stone testified, Trumps tweet was a comment of "at least this guys got a filled sack".

It would be a stronger point if on the way to testify Trump sent a message to Stone saying "sack up it's your turn to testify".

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
AFTER THE TESTIMONY.

THE DEFINITION REQUIRES THIS OCCUR BEFORE THE TESTIMONY!!!

When I cheer that my team won the hockey game, after the game is over, I'm NOT INFLUENCING THE GAME!!!
the tweet was about Roger Stone. Stone just refused to testify before Congress after Trump's comments. WTF are you talking about ?

Nov 2015
UK
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...mpering/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5904c4323185

both Ryan and McConnell gave very moving speeches today honoring George H.W. Bush. This was the political contrast the world was presented with .Pence spoke as well . He appeared to be fighting back tears as he told the story of Bush writing a personal congratulatory letter to his son .His son had graduated from aviation school , which included making a "tailhook" landing on the U.S.S. George H.W. Bush. Pence had written Bush and asked him to sign a photo of his son. Instead , Bush sent his son a personal letter from one aviator to another .

Maybe Trump is suffering from a form of generational tech dementia. There couldn't have been anything to prepare him for the internet or tweeting, growing up. Perhaps he thinks that if the words are sent via twitter they aren't really words at all. Cuz, good friggin grief. This is our new normal ? Where a president is breaking the law with apparent impunity , for all the world and god to see ?
Why doesn't your thread title match your opening post?