Trump Admin purges 200,000 VA healthcare applications

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Honestly, I don't have historical knowledge of Republicans working against the VA, unless you count privatizing.
I do.
Yes, there have been problems with the VA forever -- including under Obama....
Yes. It is less about the President, generally speaking, than Congress. This particular case involves the President, as you indicated, but usually a president does not get involved in the internal workings of agencies. He is (supposed to be) a big picture guy.

May 2019
A Van Down by the River...
I do.

Yes. It is less about the President, generally speaking, than Congress. This particular case involves the President, as you indicated, but usually a president does not get involved in the internal workings of agencies. He is (supposed to be) a big picture guy.
As for the GOP privatizing hooha, I always considered that shameless campaign gobbledygook. Vets don't want privatization, and I think the majority of Americans are opposed to such a move. It sounds like a "plan" and appeals to the knee-jerk "gov't bad!" bobbleheads, but I haven't seen any legitimate movement or drive in this direction.

That said, Trump has flippin' super powers to get his way and he supports privatizing, so I could be eating these words by next week.

Trump is involved to the extent he hammered Obama over the back-logs which have continued to haunt the VA. He promised sweeping reforms, top to bottom. (He alone could fix it, remember?) He needs this black-eye to go bye-bye before he gets hammered for breaking yet another big, beautiful promise:

"President Trump made big promises during his 2016 campaign about cleaning house at the Department of Veterans Affairs. Unfortunately, whether he realizes or not, things there have gotten much worse since he took office.

"Veterans are a critical political constituency for President Trump. His administration can’t afford to have negative press coverage about Trump’s failed promises to reform VA. This might explain why the war on whistleblowers has intensified during his time in office
." - Scott Davis Washington Examiner

The aforementioned campaign to root out and punish Whistleblowers is a pretty nasty business as well:

One Army Colonel reported multiple abuses to her superiors:
"Some employees, she says, routinely came in late, left early or didn't show up at all. One, she says, would openly drink on the job. That employee once told a veteran in a PTSD program, " 'I'll give you the bullet to put in the gun to shoot yourself'"

She received threats at first, then was isolated/silenced for her efforts. Ultimately she was forced to retire.
VA Whistleblowers: A Culture of Fear & Retaliation -- NPR
If ever you want to feel crappy, this is a good read.

Sep 2012
SoCal
Honestly, I don't have historical knowledge of Republicans working against the VA, unless you count privatizing. Then again, R's would privatize the rain if let to their own devices, so at least that's on brand.

As for Trump, this f'd up manuever is a giant slap in the face to those who have served and sacrificed, and that ain't right.
Yes, there have been problems with the VA forever -- including under Obama -- but not being able to keep up with demand efficiently is one thing; trying to make it so the stats fit a narrative by denying care to eligible vets is quite another. What a sh!tbag.

All Americans ought to be outraged. This shouldn't be a partisan food fight -- which is why I sourced a conservative publication.
Wondering how that will affect the military vote in 2020?

May 2019
MaryAnne is a LADY, a real lady. Please don't call her such names, even in jest.
You're absolutely right and I'm genuinely sorry. It was intended as a joke, but it was a stupid one. I will edit and try to make amends with @MaryAnne.

EDIT: Do you know if there is a time limit on editing? The option is not available for the original post. I'll try again later, maybe it's a user caffeine issue...

Last edited:
May 2019
Is that supposed to be funny? Thx, no Cinnamon rolls for her!
It was, tho clearly in poor taste. I'm very sorry.
No, I don't deserve any yummy treats. I should only be offered mud to pair with Humble Pie.
I sincerely apologize to you, and any member who was duly offended.