Trump Admin purges 200,000 VA healthcare applications

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
This is a complicated story, especially for us readers but for Trump and VA, as well as veterans more so.
The article makes a few declarations that this was Trump's doing - and broken promises. They are right and they are wrong. This is Trump's responsibility but this is the VA's decision.

And what makes this complicated? This is a decision they feel they (VA) need to make, in part, to help "fix" the system.
"Couldn't Trump just fire them or handle this himself?"
It appears he has done so, but it isn't that simple as the "firing spree" by Trump is held up in courts - stalling, at least in part, progress on the VA systems.
Trump’s VA Firing Spree Falters in Court — ProPublica

There is also an entirely different aspect to this move that was not discussed in the OP's article and that's the IT aspect - which is largely at fault for both record errors and the purge - despite Trump. Those issues were around when my father died (and are to blame in a way), in a VA hospital in 2005, under Bush Jr.
VA hires IT systems integrator to meet new Forever GI bill implementation deadline | Federal News Network

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
This is a complicated story, especially for us readers but for Trump and VA, as well as veterans more so.
The article makes a few declarations that this was Trump's doing - and broken promises. They are right and they are wrong. This is Trump's responsibility but this is the VA's decision.

And what makes this complicated? This is a decision they feel they (VA) need to make, in part, to help "fix" the system.
"Couldn't Trump just fire them or handle this himself?"
It appears he has done so, but it isn't that simple as the "firing spree" by Trump is held up in courts - stalling, at least in part, progress on the VA systems.
Trump’s VA Firing Spree Falters in Court — ProPublica

There is also an entirely different aspect to this move that was not discussed in the OP's article and that's the IT aspect - which is largely at fault for both record errors and the purge - despite Trump. Those issues were around when my father died (and are to blame in a way), in a VA hospital in 2005, under Bush Jr.
VA hires IT systems integrator to meet new Forever GI bill implementation deadline | Federal News Network
Reading the first sentence I was reminded that Trump has fired them. He even tried to put his lying, pill dplong Doctor in charge, Jackson.

The incompetent people Trump has put in place are showing in every branch of Government. Over 2 years of mismangement is really taking a toll. Deficits sky high. Huge tax cuts for the wealthy.

The great economy that was built during the Obama years from the Bush mess is showing cracks all over, crumbling slowly but surely. The hodge podge of tariffs will cause more.

Mar 2019
TN
You can't even get Obama to sign up for Obamacare.

My girlfriend has a United Healthcare policy thru Obamacare. Damned good insurance. Just covered her knee replacement surgery. Going to cover her other knee in the fall. Total cash out of pocket for the YEAR is $1400. $10 co-pays at the Dr office. No copay at PT today since she has met her deductible. I know at least three others that have zero complaints about their insurance thru Obamacare. Damned glad to have it until they are old enough for Medicare.