Trump admin scrambles to cover for reckless Saudi assassination of dissident

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
Obviously what's happened here is wrong. But more importantly, in arranging for it to happen in practically full public view at the hands of a 15-member team who flew in and out on private aircraft, Mohammed Bin Salman seems to have shown himself to be a complete moron.

There will be consequences for this, there have to be, and yet the Trump administration has no answers and no coherent response. Meanwhile, Politico reports, MBS is playing on his relationship with Jared Kushner to try to buy the Trump administration's loyalty.

There are a multitude of personal and financial entanglements between Trump, Kushner and MBS. The confidence these relations apparently gave rise to caused Kushner to bet the entire capacity of U.S. foreign policy influence on Saudi leadership. Trump went along with it, and now they're both getting burned.

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
Why are they scrambling to cover something nobody knows about?

I didn't know this happened until you just posted it.

lol
The Senate Foreign Relations Committee invoked the Magnitsky Act this morning, under which the president is required to investigate an extrajudicial killing of a person to silence their free expression.

If the investigation concludes that did indeed happen, serious sanctions on the parties responsible, including account seizures and travel bans, will be triggered automatically. The Turks appear to have MBS dead to rights here.

If you're ignorant of how the U.S. might be about to have an unprecedented row with one of our most important allies because it chose to coddle a guy who is barely 30 years old as he seized absolute power, that's your deal.

May 2012
By the wall
The Senate Foreign Relations Committee invoked the Magnitsky Act this morning, under which the president is required to investigate an extrajudicial killing of a person to silence their free expression.

If the investigation concludes that did indeed happen, serious sanctions on the parties responsible, including account seizures and travel bans, will be triggered automatically. The Turks appear to have MBS dead to rights here.

If you're ignorant of how the U.S. might be about to have an unprecedented row with one of our most important allies because it chose to coddle a guy who is barely 30 years old as he seized absolute power, that's your deal.
Just saying that this isn't even a story on either liberal or conservative media outlets.

For such a big deal, nobody is reporting on it.

Dec 2006
required field
The OP contains a link to Politico which was recirculated by The New York Times, following this report by The Washington Post this morning.
Yeah I've seen at least 3 articles on it today apart from what I've seen posted here at PH. This isn't even the first thread on it. But the OP is all original commentary, no copy/paste, but sourced with an in-context link. I think people are unused to that here. ;)