Trump admin scrambles to cover for reckless Saudi assassination of dissident

May 2012
By the wall
I just watched Don Lemon spend almost ten minutes on the story on CNN. Shrug.
I don't have cable but its not on their website.

Nor Foxes or anyone elses...maybe a commentary blog somewhere that I didn't spend time to dig up.

Certainly not a top story.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
Why are they scrambling to cover something nobody knows about?

I didn't know this happened until you just posted it.

lol
When you look at the timeline... Kushner may have been pushed to act in a way that may have been beyond his clearance.

I mean, the OTHER assassination attempt that relates ended REALLY REALLY badly, pretty stressful situation. Except, I don't think people want to know the whole truth about this, only getting their teeth into the trumps...

May 2012
By the wall
When you look at the timeline... Kushner may have been pushed to act in a way that may have been beyond his clearance.

I mean, the OTHER assassination attempt that relates ended REALLY REALLY badly, pretty stressful situation. Except, I don't think people want to know the whole truth about this, only getting their teeth into the trumps...
This is a non story, it will pass as soon as Trump farts in public.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Like I said, you had to dig that up.

Go look at their front page, they have a high school band stunt on there instead of this story.

I know because I'm looking at it right now.
No, their main story, of course, is Hurricane Michael, as it should be; and their other big story is the massive stock market plunge today. Shrug.

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
The other aspect to this story is, it is longstanding U.S. policy to exercise the "duty to warn."

If the U.S. has no bone to pick with somebody, and it learns that they could be in danger of assassination or extrajudicial detention, at a minimum it is supposed to contact that person and advise them to seek a safe haven, if not provide one itself.

All indications are, the U.S. learned Khashoggi was in MBS' crosshairs some weeks ago, but neglected to tell him about it. He walked into the Saudi consulate to get marriage papers. He had no idea what was coming.

This is a matter that falls on Gina Haspel's head, if our understanding of the situation pans out.