Trump administration approves lethal arms sales to Ukraine

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
The Trump administration has approved the largest U.S. commercial sale of lethal defensive weapons to Ukraine since 2014. The move was heavily supported by top Trump national security Cabinet officials and Congress but may complicate President Trump’s stated ambition to work with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Administration officials confirmed that the State Department this month approved a commercial license authorizing the export of Model M107A1 Sniper Systems, ammunition, and associated parts and accessories to Ukraine, a sale valued at $41.5 million. These weapons address a specific vulnerability of Ukrainian forces fighting a Russian-backed separatist movement in two eastern provinces. There has been no approval to export the heavier weapons the Ukrainian government is asking for, such as Javelin antitank missiles.
Congress authorized such sales in 2014 in the Ukraine Freedom Support Act, but the Obama administration never authorized large commercial or government sales, a move widely seen as a de facto decision not to provide lethal weapons to the Ukraine military. Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Corker (R-Tenn.), who co-sponsored the law, praised the Trump administration’s move.
“I’m pleased the administration approved the sale of defensive lethal arms to Ukraine,” Corker told me. “This decision was supported by Congress in legislation that became law three years ago and reflects our country’s longstanding commitment to Ukraine in the face of ongoing Russian aggression.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...arms-sales-to-ukraine/?utm_term=.0014a8039820

Jul 2014
Border Fence
Weren't people worried Hillary was going to do something like this?
Trump gets a pass because he is a businessman. This is seen as business good for America.

I think that is Trump's Korean Peninsula doctrine. Rattle sabers. Get NK crazy. Get the natives scared and sell Japan and SK arms.

Amelia

Former Staff
Jun 2014
Wisconsin
Weren't people worried Hillary was going to do something like this?
I don't remember that.

I remember Obama taking heat for not helping Ukraine in a material way when it mattered most.

So this is probably an answer to that.

Will be interesting to see if Trump gives them the rest of the assistance they are requesting ... but I'm guessing not since Putin wouldn't like it.