Trump administration plans to drastically weaken law protecting endangered species

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
Trump administration plans to drastically weaken law protecting endangered species
The Endangered Species Act is credited with helping save the bald eagle, the California condor and scores of other animals and plants from extinction.
By Associated Press

"This effort to gut protections for endangered and threatened species has the same two features of most Trump administration actions: it's a gift to industry, and it's illegal. We'll see the Trump administration in court about it," Drew Caputo, a vice president of litigation for the conservation advocacy group Earthjustice, said."
"The Endangered Species Act currently protects more than 1,600 species in the United States and its territories."
"A United Nations report warned in May that more than 1 million plants and animals globally face extinction, some within decades, owing to human development, climate change and other threats. The report called the rate of species loss a record."

##############################################################################
That is tantamount to weakening or doing away entirely with laws that protect other animals. Trump is picking on the most vulnerable of all, those that can't speak up to defend themselves. It is a shame that he has sought to decimate The Endangered Species Act with blatant disregard to the consequences of such action for those animals involved that now enjoy Federal protections. If Trump was as judicious and as ready to help the poor, the elderly and the sick in our country as he is to bring this type of bad rule change then we might be getting somewhere. But under the circumstances it is only getting worse under his administration.

Mar 2019
Down a back road turn south on a gravel drive
Some animals need to be hunted right now. We just had a thread about nuisance coyotes and black vultures. The black vultures attack livestock, peck the eyeballs out of young cattle, eat them alive and cost farmers thousands of dollars. These laws need to be changed so that farmers can be free to kill these nuisance birds and not face prison time and fines for protecting their calves.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Some animals need to be hunted right now. We just had a thread about nuisance coyotes and black vultures. The black vultures attack livestock, peck the eyeballs out of young cattle, eat them alive and cost farmers thousands of dollars. These laws need to be changed so that farmers can be free to kill these nuisance birds and not face prison time and fines for protecting their calves.
The very reason that America is seeing a population explosion of coyotes is because we mostly eliminated wolves from across the American landscape. No wolves, the coyotes move in. Coyotes are very adaptable animals that are moving into many of our cities today, having lost much of their fear of man. But then, coyotes are NOT an "endangered species", and there are few restrictions on killing them.

But this sort of thing is a fine example of what can happen if you go about deliberately eliminating the top predator...….wolves, in this case...….from an ecosystem. There are all kinds of cascading effects down the food chain, and we may not always like the results. If you want to eliminate the lynx population in Canada, say, expect an enormous population explosion of snowshoe hares.

May 2012
By the wall
The very reason that America is seeing a population explosion of coyotes is because we mostly eliminated wolves from across the American landscape. No wolves, the coyotes move in. Coyotes are very adaptable animals that are moving into many of our cities today, having lost much of their fear of man. But then, coyotes are NOT an "endangered species", and there are few restrictions on killing them.

But this sort of thing is a fine example of what can happen if you go about deliberately eliminating the top predator...….wolves, in this case...….from an ecosystem. There are all kinds of cascading effects down the food chain, and we may not always like the results. If you want to eliminate the lynx population in Canada, say, expect an enormous population explosion of snowshoe hares.
That's the most informed thing I think I've ever read on this site.

Wolves have never been a big hunter of coyotes. Unless coyotes are crossing into their territory or they view them as a threat for food they generally ignore them.

Where do you get your information from?

Mar 2019

People are more important than wolves. If they were around me, I'd try to kill them too. If a couple of them came around, my kids could be gone.

The same with big gators. If they are around where people live, they need to be hunted.

Jan 2016
Colorado
People are more important than wolves. If they were around me, I'd try to kill them too.

The same with big gators. If they are around where people live, they need to be hunted.
Presumably, on your view, people are more important than ANY other species, right?

So presumably you are not worried about scientific reports that a MILLION species face extinction within the next few decades?

I suspect you are just not 'aware' that we are currently in the midst of the Sixth Great Extinction event in the geological history of the world. And that while the causes of some of the first five remain murky, though we are learning more each and every year, that there is no real debate over the cause of this Sixth Mass Extinction: it is us. We humans. WE are the cause.

Spaceship Earth is in deep trouble. Some of us realize that. And some of us do not.

Jan 2016
Colorado

Wolves have never been a big hunter of coyotes. Unless coyotes are crossing into their territory or they view them as a threat for food they generally ignore them.

Wolves and coyotes will sometimes interbreed when their ranges overlap, as is now well understood. But their ranges typically do NOT overlap, or they would be unlikely to remain separate species, since they DO interbreed. I was making no claim that wolves hunt coyotes. But wolves are larger, and much stronger, and coyotes, which tend to roam in MUCH smaller groups, will mostly avoid wolves, whenever they can.

I get my information from knowing about the biology and HISTORY of wolves and coyotes.

I am sorry if such knowledge is somehow offensive to you. Shrug.

Jan 2016
Colorado

P.S. Here is a scientific article on the replacement of wolves by coyotes, focusing in particular on eastern North America, where wolves were almost totally wiped out during the course of the 18th and 19th centuries (and into the 20th century). Go argue with the authors, if you want:

https://nywolf.org/wp-content/uploa...es-and-coyotes-in-eastern-North-America-1.pdf

Mar 2019
Presumably, on your view, people are more important than ANY other species, right?
Yes

So presumably you are not worried about scientific reports that a MILLION species face extinction within the next few decades?

I suspect you are just not 'aware' that we are currently in the midst of the Sixth Great Extinction event in the geological history of the world. And that while the causes of some of the first five remain murky, though we are learning more each and every year, that there is no real debate over the cause of this Sixth Mass Extinction: it is us. We humans. WE are the cause.

Spaceship Earth is in deep trouble. Some of us realize that. And some of us do not.
I believe we should be good stewards of creation. But I believe that people are more important than plants and animals and the earth. So I believe farmers should be able to kill a wolf or a black vulture if it is a danger to him, his family and his livelihood.
Genesis 1:28
27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. 28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.