Trump administration plans to drastically weaken law protecting endangered species

Jul 2014
CA
Of course there is going to be a lawsuit and this administration's track record on lawsuits are not that good

In a move that critics say will hurt plants, animals and other species as they face mounting threats, the Trump administration is making major changes to how the Endangered Species Act is implemented. The U.S. Department of Interior on Monday announced a suite of long-anticipated revisions to the nation's premier wildlife conservation law, which is credited with bringing back the bald eagle and grizzly bears, among other species.

Republican lawmakers and industry groups celebrated the revisions, some of the broadest changes in the way the act is applied in its nearly 50-year history.

They come at a moment of crisis for many of the world's plant and animal species. As many as 1 million species are at risk of extinction — many within decades — according to a recent U.N. report.

Wildlife groups and Democratic lawmakers, pointing to that document, are promising to challenge the new rules in Congress and in court. "Now is the time to strengthen the ESA, not cripple it," said New Mexico Sen. Tom Udall on a press call.

Trump Administration Makes Major Changes To Protections For Endangered Species

Get that part about the bald eagle?

You know, the "symbol" for America??

Jan 2016
Colorado
Of course there is going to be a lawsuit and this administration's track record on lawsuits are not that good

In a move that critics say will hurt plants, animals and other species as they face mounting threats, the Trump administration is making major changes to how the Endangered Species Act is implemented. The U.S. Department of Interior on Monday announced a suite of long-anticipated revisions to the nation's premier wildlife conservation law, which is credited with bringing back the bald eagle and grizzly bears, among other species.

Republican lawmakers and industry groups celebrated the revisions, some of the broadest changes in the way the act is applied in its nearly 50-year history.

They come at a moment of crisis for many of the world's plant and animal species. As many as 1 million species are at risk of extinction — many within decades — according to a recent U.N. report.

Wildlife groups and Democratic lawmakers, pointing to that document, are promising to challenge the new rules in Congress and in court. "Now is the time to strengthen the ESA, not cripple it," said New Mexico Sen. Tom Udall on a press call.

Trump Administration Makes Major Changes To Protections For Endangered Species

Get that part about the bald eagle?

You know, the "symbol" for America??
We need guns in our schools, according to Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, in order to protect our precious and priceless childern from possible grizzly bear attacks.

See?!? SEE?? If alla you damfool environuts hadn't stopped us from exterminating the grizzly bear, they'd all be gone and our children would be SAFE!

:rolleyes::zany:o_O:winktongue::rolleyes:

To a certain nameless moderator, those five smiley emoticons indicate that the post contains what adults known as SARCASM.

Jan 2016
Colorado
NOOOO

Snakes scare the hell out me, mice, not so much :)
Bear in mind that mice (and rats!) are far more likely to spread disease to humans than snakes are. I have never even heard of any disease being transmitted from a snake to a human. Rat to human transmissions were behind the terrible Black Death of the Middle Ages.

Just sayin'.

May 2019
The Wine Country
So much work went into bringing back the California Condor I'd hate to see it go to waste.

But much of it is California's doing - not the Feds - so I have high hopes.

I generally spare spiders except for Black Widows. The same goes for snakes unless they're a rattlesnake.

But on the whole, I don't like what they're proposing.

This is an endangered San Francisco Garter Snake. How can anybody be afraid of this beautiful little fellow?

Garter.jpg

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
NOOOO

Snakes scare the hell out me, mice, not so much :)
A snake would send me into a heart attack if I found one in the house. LOL I used to think mice were cute until my sister had her problems. They are the most filthy rodents I have ever seen. They don't have bladder control and they can't control their pooping. So they walk and poop/pee all over the house. The pee builds up into little hard pyramids. My sister is a collector of everything she sees. She is not a dirty hoarder but she has stuff all over the place. We had to move all of that to hunt the mice. She had about 15 quilts that she made, which bring about 300.00 each. They destroyed every one of them by tearing them up for nesting material and poop/pee. We had to scrub every inch of her house. She kept seeing one...but I told her it could be 20 since they all look the same. LOL We set traps and got 8 in less than 6 hours. I think we got about 24 of them all in all. Not only is there the poop and pee, the mouse smell is awful and they also bring knats if they die in the house. This all started when she had a lot of brush removed behind her house and they scattered all over the place. She put poison under her porch and they made their way into her house and some of them died. We found dead ones as well.
It was a disaster. I was traumatized after that week. :) She was in her late 60's at the time and was overwhelmed by it. I felt bad for her. Mice suck.

Jan 2016
Colorado
A snake would send me into a heart attack if I found one in the house. LOL I used to think mice were cute until my sister had her problems. They are the most filthy rodents I have ever seen. They don't have bladder control and they can't control their pooping. So they walk and poop/pee all over the house. The pee builds up into little hard pyramids. My sister is a collector of everything she sees. She is not a dirty hoarder but she has stuff all over the place. We had to move all of that to hunt the mice. She had about 15 quilts that she made, which bring about 300.00 each. They destroyed every one of them by tearing them up for nesting material and poop/pee. We had to scrub every inch of her house. She kept seeing one...but I told her it could be 20 since they all look the same. LOL We set traps and got 8 in less than 6 hours. I think we got about 24 of them all in all. Not only is there the poop and pee, the mouse smell is awful and they also bring knats if they die in the house. This all started when she had a lot of brush removed behind her house and they scattered all over the place. She put poison under her porch and they made their way into her house and some of them died. We found dead ones as well.
It was a disaster. I was traumatized after that week. :) She was in her late 60's at the time and was overwhelmed by it. I felt bad for her. Mice suck.
Exposure to aerosolized mice feces is how the Four Corners Disease was spread. If you don't remember, it was a sudden outbreak of a very weird disease in the Four Corners area on the borders between Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona, back in 1993.

1993 Four Corners hantavirus outbreak - Wikipedia

And the Centers for Disease Control displayed their high level of competence by figuring out where and how the disease was being spread within about ten days. Fast work. The CDC just might be the most competent government agency we have. Americans should be glad we have it.

In the future, we may need to be even faster, though, at identifying and characterizing newly emerging diseases.

One little snake around your sister's home would have kept ALL those mice away. Just sayin'.