Trump Allies Target Journalists Over Coverage Deemed Hostile to White House

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
A loose network of conservative operatives allied with the White House is pursuing what they say will be an aggressive operation to discredit news organizations deemed hostile to President Trump by publicizing damaging information about journalists.
It is the latest step in a long-running effort by Mr. Trump and his allies to undercut the influence of legitimate news reporting. Four people familiar with the operation described how it works, asserting that it has compiled dossiers of potentially embarrassing social media posts and other public statements by hundreds of people who work at some of the country’s most prominent news organizations.

The group has already released information about journalists at CNN, The Washington Post and The New York Times — three outlets that have aggressively investigated Mr. Trump — in response to reporting or commentary that the White House’s allies consider unfair to Mr. Trump and his team or harmful to his re-election prospects.

Trump Allies Target Journalists Over Coverage Deemed Hostile to White House

Oh no! Someone is doing to the media what they do to everyone else? I guess it's ok for the media to dig up old social media posts on a kid who won the Heisman or some teachers but don't do that to them. They can try to cancel Kevin Hart or James Gunn because of old jokes on social media. But don't dare hold reporters up to the same kind of scrutiny. Screw em. This is the Media Matters model of doing business. They fed at that trough for a long time. I'm glad someone is doing it back to them.

Mar 2010
Indiana
The media is not perfect but I'll take it any day over state run media as in Russia or North Korea. This is not about scrutiny and you know it. It's about targeting journalists when you don't like what they're reporting. It's the first step toward authoritarian rule and you should know better MacDuff.

Nov 2013
NY

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
The media is not perfect but I'll take it any day over state run media as in Russia or North Korea. This is not about scrutiny and you know it. It's about targeting journalists when you don't like what they're reporting. It's the first step toward authoritarian rule and you should know better MacDuff.
It's doing the exact same thing to journalists that they've done to forklift drivers, gif makers and deli owners. What do you think it was about then? You think it was about scrutiny? It was about a vindictive political agenda and they wanted to punish private citizens for wrongthink. If this is such a horrid practice then why did Andrew Kaczynski makes a career of it? Organizations like Media Matters are built around digging up old social media posts to embarrass people. The media lived off this for years. Fuck em. They get zero sympathy from me having it inflicted back on them.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
I'll never get the whole "if you don't like what journalists say you have to be careful how you criticize because that is the first step to authoritarian rule."
Well, isn't that itself authoritarian?
An expense of personal freedom.

Would it be different coming from me, Joe Schmoe versus Trump?

Why? I've yet to see any President in my lifetime try to convert the media from public to state controlled.

In fact, that claim of fear sounds a bit like bullshit to me. Based on evidence.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Well, since the OP flat-out gives the reason behind doing it and it's a different reason than a journalist does it, the disingenuous claim that it's the same thing in reverse is proven wrong right out of the gate. So, that's kind of funny.

That being said, I don't really have a problem with it. Shouldn't everyone be accountable for their actions/words?

I still don't get how exposing someone's bigotry or hypocrisy on an issue makes the person exposed the victim. But... Whatever, I guess.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
meh. Fox News has already been doing this for years. I'm not impressed. Trump doesn't really want to a war with the free press. He just wants to prevent them from reporting the truth. As evident in the fact that they're going after journalist personally rather than trying to prove what they reported was false.