Trump asks Saudi crown prince to share kingdom's wealth by buying more American weapo

Feb 2007
In my mind
Great plan!

Nothing could stabilize the middle east and north Africa more than us selling arms to one country, or select countries.

Indeed, the president literally said that Saudi Arabia is wealthy and they should give some that wealth to the US in the form of buying weapons to create jobs.

Saudi, already doing some questionable things militarily in Yemen, seems like a poor choice to arm simply to create jobs.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/20/tru...nce-to-share-wealth-by-buying-us-weapons.html

In opening remarks before a meeting with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Trump crowed about the sales, running through a list of $12.5 billion in approved arms purchases by Saudi Arabia and previewing billions more to come.

"Saudi Arabia is a very wealthy nation, and they're going to give the United States some of that wealth, hopefully in the form of jobs, in the form of the purchase of the finest military equipment anywhere in the world," Trump said.

"There's nobody even close, as I said before, when it comes to the missiles and the planes and all of the military equipment," Trump said. "There's nobody that even comes close to us in terms of technology and the quality of the equipment, and Saudi Arabia appreciates that."

Jul 2014
midwest
If Saudi wants weapons they will get them.

They are allegedly our "friend" so why not get them from us?

We could cut them off, but that would only hurt American manufacturers.

It the old "Supply and Demand" scenario: when there is a demand, someone will supply.

Jun 2014
United States
If Saudi wants weapons they will get them.

They are allegedly our "friend" so why not get them from us?

We could cut them off, but that would only hurt American manufacturers.

It the old "Supply and Demand" scenario: when there is a demand, someone will supply.
Trump's tariffs will make US weapons too expensive. Russia can supply them instead.

Feb 2007
In my mind
Those are leading countries in selling arm to other countries.

We are number one, of course...

I actually saw that on aljazeera.com

USA, Russia, Germany, France, China, UK, Israel, Italy, S Korea...the list goes on and on.
Which is not what you claimed, so I am going to guess your assertion was false and unsupported.

Jul 2014
midwest
Which is not what you claimed, so I am going to guess your assertion was false and unsupported.
Those are the countries which sell the most weapons.

The reason they sell them is M O N E Y.

Saudi has plenty of money so they can and will get arms if they want them.

If not from us, there will be plenty of other sources...

Feb 2007
In my mind
Those are the countries which sell the most weapons.

The reason they sell them is M O N E Y.

Saudi has plenty of money so they can and will get arms if they want them.

If not from us, there will be plenty of other sources...
Which again was not your original contention. Move goalposts if you must, but don't expect me to suffer it.