Trump Defends "Legendary Crime Buster" Rudy Giuliani

Nov 2016
USA
I will always remember and give credit to the former Mayor who was a part of cleaning up NYC and being a beacon when we grieved on Sept 11.

That said, this apostate should be ashamed of himself...
I was impressed with how he conducted himself on 9/11 and the immediate days after. However, how he behaves today is another matter.

• Love
Reactions: the bull59

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
Lol. The only person he is bringing own is himself. Giuliani is going to be indicted on FARA violations and probably campaign finance charges related to the two stooges arrested the other day.

Giuliani is the corrupt one now. He was running a shadow government in Ukraine up to a variety of nefarious activities including funneling foreign aid to congressman in exchange for smearing the former ambassador. His goose is cooked. Yelling about conspiracies is just turning up the oven

And what is so ironic, is that it's going to be the SDNY who brings the charges

Where years ago, he was the head of.

May 2019
Backatown, USA
I think it is pretty obvious that Trump would prefer to dispense with Rudy and leave him to his own devices.

But he can't. Rudy knows too much, and is too heavily associated with Trump in the public view.

Michael Cohen was associated with Trump for longer, but he didn't go on TV all the time with Trump's blessing.

Rudy has, and if Trump turns on him, he will show everyone with a brain that Trump will stand by nobody.

At that point, every rat who is still on the ship will go shopping for a life preserver.
Cohen was Trump's actual longtime lawyer and fixer, who eventually got thrown under the bus.
Rudy has been acting more as Trump's p.r. rep, constantly trying to make the case for Trump's innocence in the court of public opinion. And doing a really shitty job at it.

I agree that at this point Trump would like to see him gone but is probably smart enough to know that if he publicly dumps Rudy it won't end well. And Rudy surely knows where the bodies are buried.

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
Cohen was Trump's actual longtime lawyer and fixer, who eventually got thrown under the bus.
Rudy has been acting more as Trump's p.r. rep, constantly trying to make the case for Trump's innocence in the court of public opinion. And doing a really shitty job at it.

I agree that at this point Trump would like to see him gone but is probably smart enough to know that if he publicly dumps Rudy it won't end well. And Rudy surely knows where the bodies are buried.
Although Rudy certainly didn't ever make Trump look innocent, he succeeded in causing enough of a distraction from what he was up to in Ukraine that, without the whistleblower complaint, things would probably have never gotten this far. Or, Congress would be reacting for the first time to the arrest of Rudy's associates at Dulles. It would be the thing that would cause people to ask, "Is impeachment possible?" instead of what it is today, a sign that impeachment is likely inevitable.

Sep 2016
My own world
Say what you will about Guiliani now, he was a ferocious opponent of the mob. He did as much as anyone to take down the Mafia.

In the Mafia Commission Trial, which ran from February 25, 1985, through November 19, 1986, Giuliani indicted 11 organized crime figures, including the heads of New York's so-called "Five Families", under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) on charges including extortion, labor racketeering, and murder for hire. Time magazine called this "Case of Cases" possibly "the most significant assault on the infrastructure of organized crime since the high command of the Chicago Mafia was swept away in 1943", and quoted Giuliani's stated intention: "Our approach is to wipe out the five families."[46] Gambino crime family boss Paul Castellano evaded conviction when he and his underboss, Thomas Bilotti, were murdered on the streets of Midtown Manhattan on December 16, 1985. However, three heads of the Five Families were sentenced to 100 years in prison on January 13, 1987.[47][48] Genovese and Colombo leaders, Tony Salerno and Carmine Persico received additional sentences in separate trials, with 70-year and 39-year sentences to run consecutively. He was assisted by three Assistant United States Attorneys: Michael Chertoff, the eventual first United States Secretary of Homeland Security and co-author of the Patriot Act; John Savarese, now a partner at Wachtell Lipton Rosen & Katz; and Gil Childers, a later deputy chief of the criminal division for the Southern District of New York and now managing director in the legal department at Goldman Sachs.

According to an FBI memo revealed in 2007, leaders of the Five Families voted in late 1986 on whether to issue a contract for Giuliani's death.[49] Heads of the Lucchese, Bonanno, and Genovese families rejected the idea, though Colombo and Gambino leaders, Carmine Persico and John Gotti, encouraged assassination.[50][51] In 2014, it was revealed by former Sicilian Mafia member and informant, Rosario Naimo, that Salvatore Riina, a notorious Sicilian Mafia leader, had ordered a murder contract on Giuliani during the mid-1980s. Riina allegedly was suspicious of Giuliani's efforts prosecuting the American Mafia and was worried that he might have spoken with Italian anti-mafia prosecutors and politicians, including Giovanni Falcone and Paolo Borsellino, who were both murdered in 1992 in separate car bombings.[52][53] According to Giuliani, the Sicilian Mafia offered $800,000 for his death during his first year as mayor of New York in 1994.[54][55]

That's a bunch of bull. If a contract was put out on Giuliani he would have been dust in his coffin by now. Given the way he is acting now I would suspect
Giuliani was on the take even then. You know who benefits when the number 1 guy goes to jail? The number 2 guy. It's like pulling weeds. He likely let
the number 2 guys takeover for a price and that's why he is still alive.

Sep 2016
My own world
And what is so ironic, is that it's going to be the SDNY who brings the charges

Where years ago, he was the head of.
It's payback, Giuliani used some info given to him by the SDNY to advance Trump at the expense of Clinton. They didn't think he would go on TV and blab.
DON'T FUCK WITH THE SDNY BECAUSE IF YOU EVEN JAY WALK AFTER THAT YOUR TOAST.

• Love
Reactions: the bull59
Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset

Trump's initial reaction was his normal response to pending prosecution, "I didn't know them, they made the coffee, He might have been my lawyer, I don't know.... Now his remaining followers have had time to realise how many beans Rudy could spill, Trump has begun to defend him. It's a yuge "Don't hurt me Rudy!" play/plea.