Trump, Distracted by Greenland, Couldn't Focus on the Ukraine

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
So to review:

— Bill Taylor has confirmed that Sondland told him Trump ordered for Sondland to demand a public announcement by President Zelenskyy that Burisma would be investigated.

Sondland has confirmed, with the caveat that he somehow didn't understand that "Burisma" meant "Hunter Biden," that he did in fact issue such a demand.

— Taylor has confirmed that it was understood by everyone working in diplomatic leadership in Ukraine that the aid would be withheld until such an announcement took place.

— Taylor has confirmed that he was repeatedly approached by the Ukranians, desperate to receive the aid, about why it was being withheld.

And that he never got any straight answer via official channels, but that everyone involved knew what was going on. Indeed, Taylor said, he was reluctant to take the job.

Everyone in the know had long suspected that Trump was determined to reach a "grand bargain" with Russia which effectively involved throwing Ukraine under the bus.

— Taylor has confirmed, and media reporting has further substantiated, that Zelenskyy would be expected to appear in person on Western media to that end, so Trump would see it.

Media reporting has indicated that Zelenskyy scheduled an interview with Fareed Zakaria for that purpose, only to cancel once Trump gave in to pressure and released the aid.

— We will learn via Vindman's testimony the extent to which the National Security Council was aware of all these facts, and how the administration reacted to his complaints.

Last edited:
Nov 2013
NY
Please try to say things that are a little less explicitly stupid. Sondland donated $1 million to Trump's inauguration. He is no "Deep State" figure.

Neither is Taylor, who Mike Pompeo handpicked to serve in his current capacity after Trump forced out Yovanovitch.

Vindman is a career Army officer and an Iraq War veteran who still has IED shrapnel in his chest. You guys will disrespect him at your peril.
Oh you FOOL !! Can't you see it? this is all part of the deep state... they gave trump the money to buy his trust.. Sondland is just another puppet in the Clinton game. They sponsor it all.. buying their way into Trump's administration.. don't be so blind !!!

1573235083754.png

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
once again second and third hand information.
Thus far, very true. But they allegedly were exchanged between white house staff and Republican Congresspeople.

WEEKS AGO.

So, if they exist, they will be damaging to any GOP Congress person who has been shouting abuse at Democrats.

IMO.

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
once again second and third hand information.
Incorrect. Sondland has directly testified that Trump told him to demand for investigations of Burisma, on condition of receiving the aid Ukraine needed.

"This guy ordered me to do this" is not second hand information. It is reflecting direct knowledge of what was going on.

Sondland for his part has insisted that he didn't know that the demands were meant to target the Bidens, and that if he did know that, he would've refused.

But the demands were made. Trump's only defense is that Sondland is lying.

Which is the line Lindsey Graham is taking ... the Democrats coerced Sondland to lie. There is no evidence of that, of course.

Jan 2019
southeast
Incorrect. Sondland has directly testified that Trump told him to demand for investigations of Burisma, on condition of receiving the aid Ukraine needed.

"This guy ordered me to do this" is not second hand information. It is reflecting direct knowledge of what was going on.

Sondland for his part has insisted that he didn't know that the demands were meant to target the Bidens, and that if he did know that, he would've refused.

But the demands were made. Trump's only defense is that Sondland is lying.

Which is the line Lindsey Graham is taking ... the Democrats coerced Sondland to lie. There is no evidence of that, of course.
Try reading this instead of your lefty propaganda and maybe you just might understand.

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
Jan 2019
southeast
I have read all of the transcripts myself. :rolleyes:
Obviously you did not. Go back and read the questions that were ask as a follow up to Schiffty

Here’s what Chairman Schiff actually said in his questioning:
(Page 280 – 281 of Sondland’s transcript)

Chairman Schiff: “There were demands, weren’t there, that an investigation take place of 2016 or Burisma? Ultimately those were demands, were they not?”

Amb. Sondland: “Ultimately, yes.”

Chairman Schiff: “And it’s fair to say that you had to navigate those demands, you had to accommodate what the President and his lawyer wanted, if you were going to set up this meeting you thought very important?”

Amb. Sondland: “I think that’s fair.”

Where Amb. Sondland clarifies his earlier statement on ‘quid-pro-quo’…

(Page 311-312)

Mr. Castor: “I just want to clarify that the last sentence of the first paragraph under Roman III — this is the sentence we reviewed before with “navigate” and “demands.” “Based on multiple readouts of these meetings” — and “these meetings” refer to the meetings on July 26th?”

Amb. Sondland: “Yes.”

Mr. Castor: ““Ambassadors Volker and Sondland reportedly provided advice to the Ukrainian leadership about how to ‘navigate’ the demands that the President has made.” But on July 26th, you were not aware the President had any demands. Is that correct?”

Amb. Sondland: “Well, I think we were aware at that point that the President wanted — I think this was still in the vanilla corruption part of the continuum. Because, again, we didn’t get a transcript of the actual call until, I think, September. ”

Mr. Castor: “Right.”

Amb. Sondland: “So this whole notion of investigating the Bidens I don’t believe would’ve come up in that meeting because we weren’t aware of it.”

Mr. Castor: “Okay. So, during that meeting, I mean, if I understand your testimony, the statement didn’t come up and –”

Amb. Sondland: “I don’t remember it coming up.”

Mr. Castor: “Okay.”

Mr. Sondland: “Didn’t flag it for me.

Amb. Sondland didn’t confirm quid-pro-quo in his addendum, which Bade and other members of the media failed to report. According to the transcript, Amb. Sondland ‘didn’t know and still doesn’t know’ why the aid to Ukraine was suspended. Moreover, Amb. Sondland “presumed” it was because of corruption.

Mark Meadows

✔@RepMarkMeadows

https://twitter.com/RepMarkMeadows/status/1191810986082258944

Seeing many overblown (and outright false) reports about Ambassador Sondland's testimony. Here's what he actually said.

1. I did not (and still don't) know why aid was held up
2. I "PRESUMED" it was because of corruption
3. I told Yermak my assumption

See paragraph 4 here:
View image on Twitter

3:14 PM - Nov 5, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

4,441 people are talking about this

“I always believed that suspending aid to Ukraine was ill-advised, although I did not know (and still do not know) when, why, or by whom the aid was suspended. However, by the beginning of September 2019, and in the absence of any credible explanation for the suspension of aid, I presumed that the aid suspension had become linked to the proposed anti-corruption statement,” Amb. Sondland said.

“As I said in my prepared testimony, security aid to Ukraine was in our vital national interest and should not have been delayed for any reason. And it would have been natural for me to have voiced what I had presumed to Ambassador Taylor, Senator Johnson, the Ukrainians, and Mr. Morrison.”

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
Obviously you did not. Go back and read the questions that were ask as a follow up to Schiffty

Here’s what Chairman Schiff actually said in his questioning:
(Page 280 – 281 of Sondland’s transcript)

Chairman Schiff: “There were demands, weren’t there, that an investigation take place of 2016 or Burisma? Ultimately those were demands, were they not?”

Amb. Sondland: “Ultimately, yes.”

Chairman Schiff: “And it’s fair to say that you had to navigate those demands, you had to accommodate what the President and his lawyer wanted, if you were going to set up this meeting you thought very important?”

Amb. Sondland: “I think that’s fair.”

Where Amb. Sondland clarifies his earlier statement on ‘quid-pro-quo’…

(Page 311-312)

Mr. Castor: “I just want to clarify that the last sentence of the first paragraph under Roman III — this is the sentence we reviewed before with “navigate” and “demands.” “Based on multiple readouts of these meetings” — and “these meetings” refer to the meetings on July 26th?”

Amb. Sondland: “Yes.”

Mr. Castor: ““Ambassadors Volker and Sondland reportedly provided advice to the Ukrainian leadership about how to ‘navigate’ the demands that the President has made.” But on July 26th, you were not aware the President had any demands. Is that correct?”

Amb. Sondland: “Well, I think we were aware at that point that the President wanted — I think this was still in the vanilla corruption part of the continuum. Because, again, we didn’t get a transcript of the actual call until, I think, September. ”

Mr. Castor: “Right.”

Amb. Sondland: “So this whole notion of investigating the Bidens I don’t believe would’ve come up in that meeting because we weren’t aware of it.”

Mr. Castor: “Okay. So, during that meeting, I mean, if I understand your testimony, the statement didn’t come up and –”

Amb. Sondland: “I don’t remember it coming up.”

Mr. Castor: “Okay.”

Mr. Sondland: “Didn’t flag it for me.

Amb. Sondland didn’t confirm quid-pro-quo in his addendum, which Bade and other members of the media failed to report. According to the transcript, Amb. Sondland ‘didn’t know and still doesn’t know’ why the aid to Ukraine was suspended. Moreover, Amb. Sondland “presumed” it was because of corruption.

4,441 people are talking about this

“I always believed that suspending aid to Ukraine was ill-advised, although I did not know (and still do not know) when, why, or by whom the aid was suspended. However, by the beginning of September 2019, and in the absence of any credible explanation for the suspension of aid, I presumed that the aid suspension had become linked to the proposed anti-corruption statement,” Amb. Sondland said.

“As I said in my prepared testimony, security aid to Ukraine was in our vital national interest and should not have been delayed for any reason. And it would have been natural for me to have voiced what I had presumed to Ambassador Taylor, Senator Johnson, the Ukrainians, and Mr. Morrison.”
I can selectively copy and paste without further comment from the transcript, too.

I don't do that, because it would be disrespectful to you and a waste of your time. We've both read all of this.

At the end of the day, Taylor, Sondland and Vindman, among others, all believed that the aid was being held up to get Burisma investigated.

Sondland has confirmed that he personally informed Zelenskyy's aides, as a representative of the U.S. government, that this is what would be required.

We know that Trump himself ordered the aid to be suspended, and discussed his reasons for doing so with Sondland, aside from ranting "no quid pro quo" before hanging up.

This puts it better than I could, and each part of it is confirmed:

Trump suspended the military aid. Trump’s vice president delivered the message about that suspended aid directly to Zelenskyy. Giuliani and Trump spent months pressuring Ukraine to carry out Trump’s sordid political scheme to absolve Russia and target Biden. Trump’s key ringleader Sondland, acting at the direction of Trump and Giuliani throughout, directly told Ukraine that getting the aid was conditional on bringing that scheme to fruition.

Incredibly, Trump’s spinners are now trying to argue that Sondland suddenly freelanced that last piece of the plot — the extortion piece — entirely on his own.