Trump, Distracted by Greenland, Couldn't Focus on the Ukraine

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
The Alexander Vindman and Fiona Hill transcripts are out.

Key takeaways so far:

1) Vindman directly links Mulvaney (who refused to appear for deposition today) to all of this and shows how Mulvaney and Sondland were each at least convinced of their own accord that Trump wanted Zelenskyy himself to commit to investigating Biden in order to receive the military aid Ukraine wanted.

2) Vindman testifies that Trump and Zelenskyy discussed an investigation of Burisma specifically and in depth on their call, and that the transcript edited this out.

3) Vindman denounces John Solomon's article in The Hill (alleging Amb. Yovonovitch tried to shield the Bidens) as false in every respect, and defends Yovanovitch

4) Hill testifies that she has been under immense pressure to remain silent, including via death threats, people banging on her door, and a constant stream of abuse online

5) Hill speaks of how Yovanovitch's sudden and explicitly unjustified removal demoralized the entire Ukrainian diplomatic mission and many at NSC; Yovanovitch was one of the highest-ranking female career diplomats handling one of the most important U.S. Department of State portfolios worldwide, and an inspiration to many.

There's a lot more, of course.

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
This. This right here stakes the whole notion that the whistleblower is the hinge of the case against Donald Trump.

Vindman is now the public, confirmed, unassailable window into what Donald Trump said on that call and why it's bad.

Trump pressured Zelenskyy to investigate Biden, and made it known that the aid would not arrive until he did.

That's it. That's the deliverable. The only way that is not the case is if Vindman is a liar.

Republican stooges who want to go after this guy can go right ahead. He bled for us. He is one of our finest servants.

Go ahead and try it.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Obviously you did not. Go back and read the questions that were ask as a follow up to Schiffty

Here’s what Chairman Schiff actually said in his questioning:
(Page 280 – 281 of Sondland’s transcript)

Chairman Schiff: “There were demands, weren’t there, that an investigation take place of 2016 or Burisma? Ultimately those were demands, were they not?”

Amb. Sondland: “Ultimately, yes.”

Chairman Schiff: “And it’s fair to say that you had to navigate those demands, you had to accommodate what the President and his lawyer wanted, if you were going to set up this meeting you thought very important?”

Amb. Sondland: “I think that’s fair.”

Where Amb. Sondland clarifies his earlier statement on ‘quid-pro-quo’…

(Page 311-312)

Mr. Castor: “I just want to clarify that the last sentence of the first paragraph under Roman III — this is the sentence we reviewed before with “navigate” and “demands.” “Based on multiple readouts of these meetings” — and “these meetings” refer to the meetings on July 26th?”

Amb. Sondland: “Yes.”

Mr. Castor: ““Ambassadors Volker and Sondland reportedly provided advice to the Ukrainian leadership about how to ‘navigate’ the demands that the President has made.” But on July 26th, you were not aware the President had any demands. Is that correct?”

Amb. Sondland: “Well, I think we were aware at that point that the President wanted — I think this was still in the vanilla corruption part of the continuum. Because, again, we didn’t get a transcript of the actual call until, I think, September. ”

Mr. Castor: “Right.”

Amb. Sondland: “So this whole notion of investigating the Bidens I don’t believe would’ve come up in that meeting because we weren’t aware of it.”

Mr. Castor: “Okay. So, during that meeting, I mean, if I understand your testimony, the statement didn’t come up and –”

Amb. Sondland: “I don’t remember it coming up.”

Mr. Castor: “Okay.”

Mr. Sondland: “Didn’t flag it for me.

Amb. Sondland didn’t confirm quid-pro-quo in his addendum, which Bade and other members of the media failed to report. According to the transcript, Amb. Sondland ‘didn’t know and still doesn’t know’ why the aid to Ukraine was suspended. Moreover, Amb. Sondland “presumed” it was because of corruption.

4,441 people are talking about this

“I always believed that suspending aid to Ukraine was ill-advised, although I did not know (and still do not know) when, why, or by whom the aid was suspended. However, by the beginning of September 2019, and in the absence of any credible explanation for the suspension of aid, I presumed that the aid suspension had become linked to the proposed anti-corruption statement,” Amb. Sondland said.

“As I said in my prepared testimony, security aid to Ukraine was in our vital national interest and should not have been delayed for any reason. And it would have been natural for me to have voiced what I had presumed to Ambassador Taylor, Senator Johnson, the Ukrainians, and Mr. Morrison.”
It matters not a bit whether Sondland knew Trump had bribed/extorted the Ukrainian president to announce he was investigating Hunter Biden, etc.

What matters is whether Sondland's evidence proves Trump did make the criminal demand.

He did.

And, BTW, why hasn't Trump released a tape of this convo or an unaltered transcript of it?

Common sense should tell you, if he could have easily proven his innocence, he would have. Weeks ago.

Dec 2014
The Milky Way
Can you post this transcript that's being referenced here or are we just suppose to take Fake News NBC's word on this one?

I'm thinking this is another NBC "Docugate" or "Edited George Zimmerman 9/11 tapes" story.

It is fake news.

And what the left forgets is that Trump has given military/lethal aid to Ukraine several times, while Øbama refused to release such lethal aid to them.

Funny how the swamp is yapping about 'national security' even though Ukraine received this lethal aid from President Trump but was silent when Øbama refused such aid.

Dec 2014
The Milky Way
This. This right here stakes the whole notion that the whistleblower is the hinge of the case against Donald Trump. ...

Nonsense, the transcript proves otherwise.

Furthermore we have Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren both publicly stating that if they become President they will withhold foreign aid from Israel unless Israel does what they want. They have stated doing this with other nations as well.

We have the Joe Biden tape wherein he is bragging about getting a Ukrainian prosecutor fired by threatening to withhold funds form Ukraine if they did not fire the guy. And he tells them, call Øbama to confirm this.

We have a Treaty with Ukraine for mutual assistance in criminal investigations. President Trump acted properly in this matter.

Reactions: jenniel
Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Nonsense, the transcript proves otherwise.
The full transcript has not yet been released. Not even read to us by Trump in a "fireside chat".

Furthermore we have Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren both publicly stating that if they become President they will withhold foreign aid from Israel unless Israel does what they want. They have stated doing this with other nations as well.
They would be furthering U.S. foreign policy, not their personal interests as Trump did.

We have the Joe Biden tape wherein he is bragging about getting a Ukrainian prosecutor fired by threatening to withhold funds form Ukraine if they did not fire the guy. And he tells them, call Øbama to confirm this.
No, we do not. No such tape exists.

We have a Treaty with Ukraine for mutual assistance in criminal investigations. President Trump acted properly in this matter.
If he had referred the matter to Interpol, probably. But that isn't what he did. Instead he bribed/extorted Zelensky to open and announce an investigation for the plain reason that doing so would damage Biden in his bid for the presidency.

And can I just point out again Trump's stupidity. Biden most likely would have been the Democratic candidate but for Trump's crime, and is almost certainly the one Trump could most easily have beaten.

He broke the law in order to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Jan 2019
southeast
It matters not a bit whether Sondland knew Trump had bribed/extorted the Ukrainian president to announce he was investigating Hunter Biden, etc.

What matters is whether Sondland's evidence proves Trump did make the criminal demand.

He did.

And, BTW, why hasn't Trump released a tape of this convo or an unaltered transcript of it?

Common sense should tell you, if he could have easily proven his innocence, he would have. Weeks ago.
Now this is funny. This coming from the man who changed his testimony. Seriously????

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Now this is funny. This coming from the man who changed his testimony. Seriously????
Sondland's evidence helps prove Trump's guilt, but Trump is guilty whether ANYONE overheard the call.

The crime is completed when Trump finished speaking to Zelensky about the "favor" he would need to perform before American aid to the Ukraine would be released.

Reactions: BitterPill
Jan 2019
southeast
Sondland's evidence helps prove Trump's guilt, but Trump is guilty whether ANYONE overheard the call.

The crime is completed when Trump finished speaking to Zelensky about the "favor" he would need to perform before American aid to the Ukraine would be released.
You have to show intent to prove his guilt and so far your ruthless and slimmy leader, Shiffty, just does not have it.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
It is fake news.

And what the left forgets is that Trump has given military/lethal aid to Ukraine several times, while Øbama refused to release such lethal aid to them.

Funny how the swamp is yapping about 'national security' even though Ukraine received this lethal aid from President Trump but was silent when Øbama refused such aid.

I know .... 95% of the threads posted here at PH by our Leftist friends are based on Fake News articles.

It's astonishing.

Reactions: excalibur