Trump, Don Jr, Kamala Harris and the Trump campaign "southern strategy" gambit.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
This isn't something that can be blamed on Trump. But, it is something that he's currently exploiting. Because, like it or not, he's learned from Putin that this country at it core still harbors racial resentments. There's an open question as to whether America is ready to elect a woman at all. Not to mention of woman of color. Trump knows how to exploit those open questions like no other president in history. And , make no mistake, these discussions are going on because that's exactly what he wants. He won the last election by exploiting those racial resentments and he's at it again early on , testing the waters.

What we saw was one tweet from Don Jr. Then, we saw Trump himself say that Harris got too much credit for taking Biden down. When asked about busing he made the completely ignorant comment that it was just a way to get around. This presents the clear indication that Trump doesn't know whether or not his tactics of stirring up racial resentments will work on Harris. He may have built his political career on questioning the legitimacy of the first African American presidents birth. But, with Harris, it's not at all clear those types of accusations will be effective.

Related.....Trump's racism isn't just racism. It's a strategy. | MoveOn.Org | Democracy In Action

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
then why are two men currently at the top of the polls. Even though there are several more qualified female candidates?? And why didn't Hillary Clinton win the election even though she's infinitely more qualified than Trump?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
then why are two men currently at the top of the polls. Even though there are several more qualified female candidates?? And why didn't Hillary Clinton win the election even though she's infinitely more qualified than Trump?
I posted this earlier in another thread, but often times its females that are stricter on other females than men. Its still why in 2019 America, females prefer a male boss to a female one. It takes more effort for a female candidate to secure another female vote.

Reactions: Jets
May 2013
N Oregon Coast
Trump's racism is a feature - not a bug.
But I'm rooting for a Harris/ Buttigieg ticket.
I don't think he'd have any idea how to handle either one of 'em.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Trump's racism is a feature - not a bug.
But I'm rooting for a Harris/ Buttigieg ticket.
I don't think he'd have any idea how to handle either one of 'em.
Problem potentially with that is the first few states arent representative of the nation as a whole. I dont see Harris or Buttigieg winning any of the early states. They will need to come in the top 3 of the first handful of states to win. Thats going to be a tall tale unless Biden really wipes out. Around here people still favor Bernie but they also are saying "can he beat Trump?" Many still see Biden as that guy even though they arent thrilled.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Problem potentially with that is the first few states arent representative of the nation as a whole. I dont see Harris or Buttigieg winning any of the early states. They will need to come in the top 3 of the first handful of states to win. Thats going to be a tall tale unless Biden really wipes out. Around here people still favor Bernie but they also are saying "can he beat Trump?" Many still see Biden as that guy even though they arent thrilled.
Excellent observation on that point. Had not heard/thought of that.

Those first states are going to be a challenge. Which isn't to say those candidates aren't going to start their emergence later into the primary season.

May 2013
N Oregon Coast
Bernie won the first few states last time around. Didn't do him much good. Remember California goes fairly early. Kamala will smoke that one. And what better matchup in the debates than Donald vs Kamala and Pete vs the Pray Away the Gay Guy? :)

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
Bernie won the first few states last time around. Didn't do him much good. Remember California goes fairly early. Kamala will smoke that one. And what better matchup in the debates than Donald vs Kamala and Pete vs the Pray Away the Gay Guy? :)
they have to get through the primary first. Obama wasn't taken seriously until after he beat Hillary in key primary states. The Ophrah endorsement didn't hurt either. I'm not convinced Harris can beat Biden in California. She's might. But, she's got some issue with her criminal justice record. That's why a lot of people were surprised that she went after Biden on civil rights.

Reactions: bajisima