Trump expected to ignore SCOTUS ruling on census question with executive order.

Jul 2011
becoming more and more
he's actually going to hold a press conference to announce it. There's no question why he's doing this. He's gearing up for his reelection. The move will be challenged in court. It won't be allowed to go into effect. All it does is keep his based riled up about immigration. Trump truly believes this is a winning issue. He doesn't care that we're headed towards a constitutional crisis. Not like he did when Obama was president anyway.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
he's actually going to hold a press conference to announce it. There's no question why he's doing this. He's gearing up for his reelection. The move will be challenged in court. It won't be allowed to go into effect. All it does is keep his based riled up about immigration. Trump truly believes this is a winning issue. He doesn't care that we're headed towards a constitutional crisis.
So how does this work? He has an executive order and expects the census forms immediately get printed? The SC already had a ruling so I wouldnt expect this to end up in a lower court. I would assume the SC has to be the one to block this? Are they even in session? Plus lets just say for giggles, his admin goes ahead and prints the forms with the question on it, then what? It would too late to print others, this could really becoming a nightmare.

Jul 2011
becoming more and more
So how does this work? He has an executive order and expects the census forms immediately get printed? The SC already had a ruling so I wouldnt expect this to end up in a lower court. I would assume the SC has to be the one to block this? Are they even in session? Plus lets just say for giggles, his admin goes ahead and prints the forms with the question on it, then what? It would too late to print others, this could really becoming a nightmare.
it goes directly to the court that the SCTOUS kicked it back down to. It's unconstitutional on it's face and Trump knows it.

Jul 2011
becoming more and more
I still wouldnt put it past him to put it on the census anyway.
the SCOTUS enjoined him from doing that. It goes back to the same court it's in now. And they're going to stop him. Period. If he takes it back up the the SCOTUS , unless Roberts changes his vote, it's not going to do any good.

Jul 2011
becoming more and more
It’s campaign rhetoric 101. This Machiavellian approach is his SOP. Too many people are swayed by machinations designed as promises to the base. This Presidency is a three ring extravaganza with Trump as the ringmaster.
everything Trump does is in preparation for the next campaign rally. It's his get out of jail free card in the game of "Monopoly" he's made the presidency.

Jul 2014
CA
The forms are already being printed without the question = and have been for a few weeks I believe.

The “solution” the administration has come up with inadvertently reveals its own mendacity. There is no other reason — not a legal or honest one — to add the question, so the president is now expected to try to sidestep the courts via executive order. This would be Trump’s most explicit challenge yet to the judicial branch, the separation of powers and the entire concept of judicial review. Just as Trump trampled on Congress’s appropriations power in snatching funds for his wall (subsequently halted by a court order), this move, if permitted to succeed, would neuter the courts, making Trump the final determiner of what is and is not legal.

Think of it this way: If Trump were permitted to do whatever he wanted simply by uttering the incantation “executive order!” he wouldn’t have needed to litigate the matter in the first place. He’d just snap his fingers and insert the question. He did not come up with the executive order tactic until he lost in court.

Constitutional scholar Laurence H. Tribe reiterates, “In my view, the president does not have either inherent or statutory authority to add the citizenship question by unilateral executive action. Article I of the Constitution — both textually and historically as well as structurally — manifestly assigns census matters to Congress.” He adds, “The 14th Amendment doesn’t alter that assignment but reinforces it. Article II does not give the president any role in this area beyond whatever role Congress delegates to him.” He concludes that Trump could not “could succeed along this path in getting the existing district court injunctions lifted.”

Trump may see this as yet another political stunt to rev up his xenophobic base. However, if he is truly committed to pressing forward in defiance of the Supreme Court, he may finally succeed in unifying Democrats on the necessity of impeachment and convince the public that leaving him in office is a threat to our constitutional system.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...ould-seek-defy-courts/?utm_term=.5766c4fa1815

I'm thinking this is really going to piss off John Roberts.

Nov 2014
TN
he's actually going to hold a press conference to announce it. There's no question why he's doing this. He's gearing up for his reelection. The move will be challenged in court. It won't be allowed to go into effect. All it does is keep his based riled up about immigration. Trump truly believes this is a winning issue. He doesn't care that we're headed towards a constitutional crisis. Not like he did when Obama was president anyway.

The Executive Branch is a CO-EQUAL branch of the Government.