Trump finally acknowledges his tariffs could hit consumers

May 2012
By the wall
Translation - I have no idea what I'm talking about and what was actually included in the last budget.

The only thing going for Trump right now is a fairly strong economy, which he seems to determine to screw up. Especially when it comes to farmers.
I like you Jenn but how the hell did you pass me in post count?

You know I am going to pass you up soon.

Nov 2015
UK
Obama has nothing to do with this thread btw.

But I guess that's par for the course with you? Distract, distract.

Oh and btw

Wall Street is getting seriously gloomy about the economy, with recession warnings mounting and stock-market volatility rising just as President Donald Trump prepares to fire up his reelection campaign machine.

Over just the last few days, economists at Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and Bank of America all warned that Trump’s bitter trade war with China is taking a bigger bite out of economic growth than expected.

The warnings came as stocks suffered another big dip on Monday with the Dow closing off nearly 400 points, or 1.5 percent, putting the blue-chip index at 25,897, over 700 points lower than it was in January of 2018 before Trump’s trade fights began in earnest. Stocks bounced back Tuesday after the Trump administration’s announcement about postponing some tariffs that had been set to take effect next month, continuing a long track record of market volatility tied to trade policy.

The collective wisdom now spreading across Wall Street is that no trade deal will be struck with China before the 2020 election; business investment will continue to sag; and a series of interest-rate cuts from the Federal Reserve won’t be enough to juice more growth out of an economy now in its tenth year of expansion — the longest stretch in American history.

Wall Street sees risk of recession rising
Obama and every president from the 70's onwards are very much part of a thread on tariffs. You finally have a president standing up to the trade deficit and you don't like it?? In my book, that's some cranky logic.

It's likely manufacturing in both the US and UK have been in decline since the 70's and to top it off, some of our own people are celebrating that fact? When your own people are against you, that's what destroys a country.

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
I like you Jenn but how the hell did you pass me in post count?

You know I am going to pass you up soon.
Why do you keep basically trolling in every thread you post in?

Trade groups said they welcomed the reprieve on tariffs for the holiday season, but added that the changes would not reduce the uncertainty they faced.

“The hope is that this creates an opportunity for the two sides to get back to the table, resume the broad-based trade talks and look at some confidence-building measures that would boost the prospects of a big deal down the road,” said Myron Brilliant, the executive vice president of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

Matt Priest, the president of the Footwear Distributors and Retailers of America, said the delay was also an acknowledgment by the Trump administration that Americans were bearing the cost of the trade war.

“It is no coincidence that the administration is allowing certain shoes to come in without raising taxes in hopes that prices do not rise at retail during the holidays,” Mr. Priest said. “While we are pleased with the decision to delay new tariffs on certain shoes, we are not satisfied.”

U.S. Delays Some China Tariffs Until Stores Stock Up for Holidays

Reactions: BigLeRoy
May 2012
By the wall
Why do you keep basically trolling in every thread you post in?

Trade groups said they welcomed the reprieve on tariffs for the holiday season, but added that the changes would not reduce the uncertainty they faced.

“The hope is that this creates an opportunity for the two sides to get back to the table, resume the broad-based trade talks and look at some confidence-building measures that would boost the prospects of a big deal down the road,” said Myron Brilliant, the executive vice president of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

Matt Priest, the president of the Footwear Distributors and Retailers of America, said the delay was also an acknowledgment by the Trump administration that Americans were bearing the cost of the trade war.

“It is no coincidence that the administration is allowing certain shoes to come in without raising taxes in hopes that prices do not rise at retail during the holidays,” Mr. Priest said. “While we are pleased with the decision to delay new tariffs on certain shoes, we are not satisfied.”

U.S. Delays Some China Tariffs Until Stores Stock Up for Holidays
Not sure what you aren't understanding here.

Trump is conducting the war but trying to limit casualties.

That makes perfect sense.

In the end we will all be better for it.

Some people will get hit hard, just like any war, but it is the price you ultimately have to pay.

Your liberal Utopia does not exist and you end up hurting more people by trying to convince them that it does.

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
Not sure what you aren't understanding here.

Trump is conducting the war but trying to limit casualties.

That makes perfect sense.

In the end we will all be better for it.

Some people will get hit hard, just like any war, but it is the price you ultimately have to pay.

Your liberal Utopia does not exist and you end up hurting more people by trying to convince them that it does.
Yeah, again that makes so much sense...not

Which states will bear the biggest brunt of these tariffs? Hint - mostly red ones.

Farmers are already getting fed up with him.

Reactions: BigLeRoy
Jan 2016
Colorado
Obama and every president from the 70's onwards are very much part of a thread on tariffs. You finally have a president standing up to the trade deficit and you don't like it?? In my book, that's some cranky logic.

It's likely manufacturing in both the US and UK have been in decline since the 70's and to top it off, some of our own people are celebrating that fact? When your own people are against you, that's what destroys a country.
Donald Trump doesn't even understand what is CAUSING America's chronic trade deficits. He has completely MIS-DIAGNOSED the problem.

I begin to wonder how many times you need to have that explained to you.