Trump: Oakland is trying to delay our asylee sanctuary resettlement plan | Oakland: Come on, send em

Apr 2018
oregon
It's just as well. The "surge" we've seen in recent months is almost 100 percent people going to ports of entry and claiming asylum.

Most of them are not justifiable asylum cases and will ultimately be rejected. For now, though, gotta do something with them.
I liked the policy of leaving them in mexico until their case is decided. We are being taken advantage of due to our generous nature. At some point, it has to stop. We can't process hordes of refugee seekers quickly enough. There needs to be some discouragement. If mexico lets them in, mexico can house them.

Oct 2009
Kansas
I liked the policy of leaving them in mexico until their case is decided. We are being taken advantage of due to our generous nature. At some point, it has to stop. We can't process hordes of refugee seekers quickly enough. There needs to be some discouragement. If mexico lets them in, mexico can house them.
That's a matter of law. The Mexican approach has merit, but we are committed by federal law to provide shelter and basic resources to anyone who enters and makes a lawful, credible claim of asylum that requires a hearing to suss out. Keeping them on foreign soil is not an option. If that's not how it should be, time to change the law.

Apr 2018
oregon
That's a matter of law. The Mexican approach has merit, but we are committed by federal law to provide shelter and basic resources to anyone who enters and makes a lawful, credible claim of asylum that requires a hearing to suss out. Keeping them on foreign soil is not an option. If that's not how it should be, time to change the law.
Or take the obama route: just do things and let the courts decide at a much later date.

Oct 2009
Kansas
Or take the obama route: just do things and let the courts decide at a much later date.
We're well past that being the "Obama route." Trump is spending money over Congress' express objections.

Whether on that matter or any potential violation of asylum law, the judicial outcome seems inevitable.

If it isn't, well, then the rule of law is basically at an end. I really don't think conservatives want that to be the case in the long run.