Trump Official Slams War on Drugs, Says It Targets 'Minority Communities'

Feb 2007
In my mind
Kudos to Ben Carson for getting one right.

My condolences to Ben Carson, as contradicting the administration with reality is seldom met with less than rage.

Indeed, Carson notes the war on drugs disproportionately affects minority communities.

That seems totally counter to the AG's desired crackdown on weed. Carson's comments come across as bleeding heart liberal/libertarian on the topic. Interesting.

Ben Carson slammed the war on drugs last week, saying it "disproportionately affected minority communities" in a break with other Donald Trump administration officials' stances.

Speaking at the Manhattan Institute, a conservative think tank, the secretary of Housing and Urban Development said, “The war on poverty sometimes conflicted with the war on drugs, which often dealt harshly with non-violent offenders, taking men away from their families, and disproportionately affecting minority communities.”

Quoting a former president of the National Fatherhood Initiative, Carson added, “There are systems in place, well meaning as they may be that incentivize people to make choices that ultimately do not strengthen the black family.”

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
Kudos to Ben Carson for getting one right.

My condolences to Ben Carson, as contradicting the administration with reality is seldom met with less than rage.

Indeed, Carson notes the war on drugs disproportionately affects minority communities.

That seems totally counter to the AG's desired crackdown on weed. Carson's comments come across as bleeding heart liberal/libertarian on the topic. Interesting.

Ben Carson slammed the war on drugs last week, saying it "disproportionately affected minority communities" in a break with other Donald Trump administration officials' stances.

Speaking at the Manhattan Institute, a conservative think tank, the secretary of Housing and Urban Development said, “The war on poverty sometimes conflicted with the war on drugs, which often dealt harshly with non-violent offenders, taking men away from their families, and disproportionately affecting minority communities.”

Quoting a former president of the National Fatherhood Initiative, Carson added, “There are systems in place, well meaning as they may be that incentivize people to make choices that ultimately do not strengthen the black family.”
As a former DEA agent....I agree.

Reactions: 1 person
Sep 2016
My own world
What is with Sessions and weed? I think oxycontin is way more addictive and dangerous. Why doesn't he crack down on that?

Reactions: 1 person