Trump picks Betsy DeVos to education secretary post

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
Trump picks Betsy DeVos to education secretary post

This one might cause some screaming.

Lansing — President-elect Donald Trump on Wednesday said he intends to appoint West Michigan GOP mega donor and philanthropist Betsy DeVos to be his education secretary, putting an ardent supporter of school choice in charge of the nation’s education policy.

DeVos, 58, is seen as a national leader in the school choice movement, which she has called an attempt to “empower” parents to find good schools for their children, whether they be traditional public schools in other neighborhoods, charter schools, virtual schools or private institutions.

“Betsy DeVos is a brilliant and passionate education advocate,” Trump said Wednesday in a statement. “Under her leadership, we will reform the U.S. education system and break the bureaucracy that is holding our children back so that we can deliver world-class education and school choice to all families.”

Trump picks Betsy DeVos for education secretary post

Jul 2014
Border Fence
At least he is not attempting to do away with the DOE.

The Department of Education officially stripped the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools – the largest accrediting agency of for-profit colleges and universities – of its authority Thursday, handing down the final blow in a long controversy over the council's ability to be an effective watchdog for students and billions of taxpayer dollars
Education Department Strips Authority of ACICS, the Largest For-Profit College Accreditor | Education News | US News

Education Department Strips Authority of Largest For-Profit Accreditor

It's a good thing that Scam U case was settled.

Jun 2013
VA
Well, it's obvious that Trump would pick a "school choicer" for DoEd....but she'll probably won't be as bat-shit crazy as Rod Paige (Dubya's SecEd...who said the NEA was a "terrorist organization").

She's TALKED bipartisan apparently.

Likely as with other Republican Presidency, it'll be the Far Right "screaming" or atleast disappointed. If ...for the first....that the Eternal Promise To Them During GOP Primaries of "abolishing the Department of Education" (as old as Reagan...and never kept)....

will REMAIN a lie.

Jan 2015
Florida
She's a horrible choice. Charter schools have no place in our society.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

Jan 2015
Florida
I agree that the Federal Department of Education should be scrapped but that comes later.
Of course you would say that.

The best education out there, which I received, was through ***shocker*** the federal system. An education provided through the DoD. When my family returned to the states, to Georgia God forbid, I was able to forego my last year of high school and get into college. Seems like the education I received was light years ahead of the education dimwits in Georgia received. And you prove my point.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______