Trump Seizes on NYU Professor’s Tweet to Push Change of Libel Laws

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas

President Trump on Monday seized on a New York University professor’s false tweet as an example of journalistic malpractice while calling for the U.S. to modify its libel laws to hold news media accountable.

In his early morning tweet while on an overseas trip to Japan, the president said a fake quote attributed to him by Ian Bremmer shows “what’s going on in the age of Fake News.”

“People think they can say anything and get away with it,” Trump wrote. “Really, the libel laws should be changed to hold Fake News Media accountable!”

Bremmer, who is the president and founder of Eurasia Group and a political science professor at NYC, got into trouble Sunday for tweeting a fake quote attributed to Trump.

Trump seizes on NYU professor’s tweet to push change of libel laws

I agree 100% with the President on this one.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
As does the entire #Trumpcult...you have brethren standing besides you John, you don't have to face liberal world alone and unprotected..

Jan 2012
SoCal
He's also a Time Magazine columnist. Thus he is part of the news media. They should be held accountable for when they just make up information.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
He's also a Time Magazine columnist. Thus he is part of the news media. They should be held accountable for when they just make up information.
Can you prove" actual malice?" That is, did this person make up the quote 1) knowing it was false or with reckless disregard for its falseness? Did he intend to do harm to his target? If so, it's actionable under current libels laws.

Seems like this probably was actual malice. So why doesn't the president sue him for libel?

Aug 2006
Valley of the Sun
I agree 100% with the President on this one.
Okay. How exactly should the libel laws be changed?

For the record, not only do I despise Ian Bremmer as an individual, I think his geopolitical analysis is extremely shallow. I've strongly disliked this man for a long time.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Okay. How exactly should the libel laws be changed?

For the record, not only do I despise Ian Bremmer as an individual, I think his geopolitical analysis is extremely shallow. I've strongly disliked this man for a long time.
I am not sure.

I do believe in today's information society there needs to be some accountability.

Aug 2006
Valley of the Sun
Okay. Then think about it for a minute, and answer.

What exactly do you think we're doing here? If you want to make a "let's shit on Ian Bremmer" thread let's do it, but it seems like this thread is supposed to be about changing our libel laws.

What's wrong with them?