Trump teaming up with Facebook and Google to boost STEM education in public schools

Libertine

Apr 2015
Katmandu
Good move.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40472664/trump-teaming-up-with-facebook-and-google-to-boost-stem-education-in-public-schools?partner=feedburner&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+fastcompany/headlines+(Fast+Company)

President Trump will sign a presidential memorandum this afternoon that commits the administration to expanding access to STEM and computer science education, senior White House officials tell Fast Company. As part of that initiative, the administration will devote at least $200 million per year in grant funding to this priority, as well as other actions to increase the focus on computer science in K-12 and post-secondary programs. To emphasize the need for such an initiative, the White House cited statistics showing that less than half of high schools currently offer computer programming and that nearly 40% of high schools did not offer physics in 2015.

And Ivanka Trump is heading to Detroit on Tuesday to join tech executives in announcing some private-sector participation from Facebook, Google, Amazon, Quicken Loans, and GM in the initiative.

Feb 2007
In my mind
$200,000,000.

There are around 50,000,000 public school students in the US. That $4 per student is going to serve them well.

Way to go Trump! Why revamp when you can just us govenrment money to get a bit of a soundbite?

Reactions: 1 person
May 2012
By the wall
$200,000,000.

There are around 50,000,000 public school students in the US. That $4 per student is going to serve them well.

Way to go Trump! Why revamp when you can just us govenrment money to get a bit of a soundbite?
Figures you would find something negative in a very good program.

Its a great move by Trump, things like this are what he needs to focus on more.

And I'm sorry to the Ivanka haters here but this woman is doing some heavy lifting on social issues.

She is far more impressive than I thought she would be.

Feb 2007
In my mind
Figures you would find something negative in a very good program.

Its a great move by Trump, things like this are what he needs to focus on more.

And I'm sorry to the Ivanka haters here but this woman is doing some heavy lifting on social issues.

She is far more impressive than I thought she would be.
Education is a "social issue"? Now I lack the PhD that allows me to praise all things Trump, but I am not sure education and Ivanka are words that go together in any context.

As for great move, I think it is shit pandering to idiot followers that lap it up. Trump nominated Christ cultist idiot for the Department of Education, and stupid shit like this is what substitutes for thought in Trump supporters circles. You want to improve education? Come up with a plan, but giveaways that amount to steaming squats do not impress me as the do you.

May 2012
By the wall
Education is a "social issue"? Now I lack the PhD that allows me to praise all things Trump, but I am not sure education and Ivanka are words that go together in any context.

As for great move, I think it is shit pandering to idiot followers that lap it up. Trump nominated Christ cultist idiot for the Department of Education, and stupid shit like this is what substitutes for thought in Trump supporters circles. You want to improve education? Come up with a plan, but giveaways that amount to steaming squats do not impress me as the do you.
As if you know anything about education.

lol

Hell, even Trump has more education than you do.

As for pandering to followers I'm not sure this is something that's going to rile them up very much. Don't you claim that all of his followers are back woods KKK and Nazi's?

Why would they care about computer science?

Blues63

Dec 2014
Mustafa
STEM is already proving to be disappointing in other nations. There is now a move to include art (STEAM) as it is excellent for promoting problem solving skills. Many write off this subject but it can be one of the best subjects for encouraging critical thinking and problem solving.

May 2012
By the wall
STEM is already proving to be disappointing in other nations. There is now a move to include art (STEAM) as it is excellent for promoting problem solving skills. Many write off this subject but it can be one of the best subjects for encouraging critical thinking and problem solving.
I am for all investment in education.

I'm not aware of STEAM (other than for video games) but will look into it.

From what you say I would support that also.

I think education investment should be on par with our military spending.

Feb 2007
In my mind
As if you know anything about education.

lol

Hell, even Trump has more education than you do.

As for pandering to followers I'm not sure this is something that's going to rile them up very much. Don't you claim that all of his followers are back woods KKK and Nazi's?

Why would they care about computer science?

Hi, I am Spookycolt, and I make things up. I have no argument so I just make random claims.

Jul 2015
Florida
Copycat!! I didn't know what STEM was till Obama's announcement about the education plan along with SILICON VALLEY's concurrence. Don't you remember?

Obama's legacy: The most tech-savvy president

He opened the door for Silicon Valley nerdiness in the White House.
Terrence O'Brien Terrence O'Brien, 01.21.17

When Barack Obama moved into the White House on January 20th, 2009, the federal government was in the digital dark ages. Even as late as 2011, he was complaining that the White House was 30 years behind. Among other things, Obama was the first president to carry a BlackBerry, and even so, it wasn't until 2016 that the leader of the free world was finally able to trade in his aging RIM device for a modern smartphone. And, as the president was quick to point out in an interview with Jimmy Fallon, the unnamed phone is so locked down, it's like one of those "play phones" you'd give to a 3-year-old.

Despite these hurdles, Obama made it one of his priorities to modernize the federal government on everything from telecommunications policy to White House IT. He tackled infrastructure, STEM education, net neutrality and climate change in serious and substantive ways. Of course, the president's efforts weren't always a rousing success, and on issues involving privacy, spying and drone usage, he faces lingering criticism from both ends

Last edited: