Trump throws the word 'treason' around far too carelessly

Nov 2016
USA
Donald Trump’s dangerous demagoguery, repeatedly using variations of the word “treasonous” to describe his critics and opponents and a supposed "deep state" conspiracy, must stop.

Trump did it again on Monday when, in response to a question about the end of the Mueller investigation, he said: “There are a lot of people out there that have done some very, very evil things, some bad things, I would say some treasonous things against our country. And hopefully people that have done such harm to our country — we’ve gone through a period of really bad things happening — those people will certainly be looked at. I’ve been looking at them for a long time.”

The accusation appears here to refer to supposed deep state conspirators. But Trump has said the same of his critics far too often. That they are treasonous is a smear he has repeated again and again. As the chief executive of the United States and the ultimate head of American law enforcement, his words to such effect carry a weight far beyond that of some ordinary Joe blowing off steam.

Treason has a specific legal meaning. It involves making war against the United States, which clearly isn't involved here, or giving aid and comfort to a declared enemy of the United States. Treason is a crime punishable by death, and if the head of U.S. law enforcement says somebody has acted in a treasonous manner, his words convey a real threat.

Investigating a POTUS of reasonable suspicions of “collusion” or obstruction of justice is reasonable and not treasonous. Refusing to stand up for the POTUS and applaud him during the SOTU speech is not treason.

Criticizing a POTUS in general is not treason. Neither is opposing his policies. To say so is dangerous rhetoric.

Dissent is not treasonous. If anything, it is sometimes downright patriotic.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Yep .....

Leftist are starting to squirm.

They know A.G. Barr is about to expose this treasonous Coup for what it is.

I don't think their damage control articles are going to work with Common Sense thinking Americans.

One

Former Staff
Dec 2006
----> X <----
Yep .....

Leftist are starting to squirm.

They know A.G. Barr is about to expose this treasonous Coup for what it is.

I don't think their damage control articles are going to work with Common Sense thinking Americans.
No. Just more of trump throwing hatred around. But that seems to be the way he handles any and every situation.
And I didn't realize how much of a conspiracy theorist you were.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
No. Just more of trump throwing hatred around. But that seems to be the way he handles any and every situation.
And I didn't realize how much of a conspiracy theorist you were.
So calling out treasonist is "hatred" .....

You guys are so predictable.

And, perhaps you should tell the Attorney General you think his investigation is a "conspiracy" .....

I am sure you can convince him.

Derp ...

One

Former Staff
Dec 2006
----> X <----
So calling out treasonist is "hatred" .....

You guys are so predictable.

And, perhaps you should tell the Attorney General you think his investigation is a "conspiracy" .....

I am sure you can convince him.

Derp ...
Who are 'you guys'?
Yes, everything trump does is motivated by his hatred for any who dare to oppose him. Even seeing treason where none exists.
You've just been fed too much fake news.
bleat bleat

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
So technically it's not treason? Just an attempted coup by rogue intelligent agencies? I'm not feeling any better over that.
It's treason alright.

trea·son
/ˈtrēzən/
noun

1. the crime of betraying one's country, especially by attempting to kill the sovereign or overthrow the government.

This perfectly describes what Mueller and company were doing.

Peter Strozk's text messages also confirm this.

This proganda piece from never Trumper Quin Hillyer is just a little damage control ahead of the storm.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Who are 'you guys'?
Yes, everything trump does is motivated by his hatred for any who dare to oppose him. Even seeing treason where none exists.
You've just been fed too much fake news.
bleat bleat
LOL ....

It's gonna be a tough couple of months for you guys.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
Donald Trump’s dangerous demagoguery, repeatedly using variations of the word “treasonous” to describe his critics and opponents and a supposed "deep state" conspiracy, must stop.

Trump did it again on Monday when, in response to a question about the end of the Mueller investigation, he said: “There are a lot of people out there that have done some very, very evil things, some bad things, I would say some treasonous things against our country. And hopefully people that have done such harm to our country — we’ve gone through a period of really bad things happening — those people will certainly be looked at. I’ve been looking at them for a long time.”

The accusation appears here to refer to supposed deep state conspirators. But Trump has said the same of his critics far too often. That they are treasonous is a smear he has repeated again and again. As the chief executive of the United States and the ultimate head of American law enforcement, his words to such effect carry a weight far beyond that of some ordinary Joe blowing off steam.

Treason has a specific legal meaning. It involves making war against the United States, which clearly isn't involved here, or giving aid and comfort to a declared enemy of the United States. Treason is a crime punishable by death, and if the head of U.S. law enforcement says somebody has acted in a treasonous manner, his words convey a real threat.

Investigating a POTUS of reasonable suspicions of “collusion” or obstruction of justice is reasonable and not treasonous. Refusing to stand up for the POTUS and applaud him during the SOTU speech is not treason.

Criticizing a POTUS in general is not treason. Neither is opposing his policies. To say so is dangerous rhetoric.

Dissent is not treasonous. If anything, it is sometimes downright patriotic.
Translation: Trump is a hot-headed , loudmouthed dumbass with a bad spray-on tan and a worse combover.

Agreed!