Trump turns up the heat on trade: 'Tariffs are the greatest!'

Feb 2007
In my mind
You here that? The president tweeting that tariff's are the greatest.

Indeed, what could be better than stifling current economic growth by seeking a myriad of complex unilateral deals in a global market which the American consumer will pay out of the nose for, all in an effort to bring America back to the economy of 100 years ago, where there was no middle class, no instant communication and it took weeks for goods to be transported across the globe instead of hours?

Yes, the president of the US tweeting that tariff's are the greatest.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/24/trump-turns-up-the-heat-on-trade-tariffs-are-the-greatest.html

President Donald Trump cranked up the rhetoric on tariffs on Tuesday, saying they are a good bargaining tool in his quest to get better trade agreements.

In a morning tweet, the president dug in on his position in the global trade war, declaring "Tariffs are the greatest!"

The tweet comes as Trump has levied tariffs on $34 billion worth of Chinese imports and has targeted $16 billion more than will come on line soon. Also, the administration is looking into another $200 billion in targeted duties on a number of Chinese goods.

Reactions: 1 person

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
And the big prize is supposed to be to get them to quit stealing our intellectual property which, as I understand it, affects companies that go over there to engage in "joint ventures" in China and are forced to put their blueprints on the table.

In the meantime, everyone else is getting screwed to avenge this one sector of manufacturing that doesn't benefit American workers at all.

Seems ass backwards to me.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
And the big prize is supposed to be to get them to quit stealing our intellectual property which, as I understand it, affects companies that go over there to engage in "joint ventures" in China and are forced to put their blueprints on the table.

In the meantime, everyone else is getting screwed to avenge this one sector of manufacturing that doesn't benefit American workers at all.

Seems ass backwards to me.
It kills me to watch Sherrod Brown defend this. I dont think he will lose in November but he will forever be tainted when Trump is gone.

Jul 2014
Border Fence
Trump has had more tariffs planned. Who knows what Trump's tweet schedule is.

Wondering Trump's motives is a waste of time. Analysts say that US businesses will suffer the most. If they can not get a so-called pro-business president to listen, then that is their and their elected representatives' problem.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Trump has had more tariffs planned. Who knows what Trump's tweet schedule is.

Wondering Trump's motives is a waste of time. Analysts say that US businesses will suffer the most. If they can not get a so-called pro-business president to listen, they that is their and their elected representatives' problem.
Just started another thread where the news is breaking he is announcing a 12 billion dollar bailout for farmers this afternoon.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/24/trump-plans-to-give-billions-in-aid-to-farmers-hurt-by-tariffs-report.html

Reactions: 1 person