Trump tweets that the moon is part of Mars

Jan 2016
Colorado
Oh, WOW!!

Dumber than Dan Quayle, who made himself infamous by claiming that "Mars travels in basically the same orbit as Earth"!!

And this contradicts none other than Donald Trump Hisself, who wanted NASA to land men on the Moon before the end of his first term! And then, when told that was impossible, demanded that it be done by 2024, and supposedly, that is now the official NASA timetable!

Has that now CHANGED, based on this new Trump Tweet?!??

Who the HELL knows??

Jul 2017
U.S.A.
Oh, WOW!!

Dumber than Dan Quayle, who made himself infamous by claiming that "Mars travels in basically the same orbit as Earth"!!

And this contradicts none other than Donald Trump Hisself, who wanted NASA to land men on the Moon before the end of his first term! And then, when told that was impossible, demanded that it be done by 2024, and supposedly, that is now the official NASA timetable!

Has that now CHANGED, based on this new Trump Tweet?!??

Who the HELL knows??
I'm guessing the idiot can tell the world he landed man on Mars if we get another man to the moon. :zany:

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
I think he's suggesting that the moon would be a "stepping stone" for a Mars launch. Frankly, it would be a lousy idea. Not only would you burn a shitload of fuel escaping the Earth's gravity, but you'd have to burn a shitload of additional fuel to escape from the moon's gravity. And of course, it's assumed that you would bring with you enough fuel to later escape from Mars' gravity when it was time to come home.

And it's not like we can refuel en route.

Jan 2016
Colorado
I think he's suggesting that the moon would be a "stepping stone" for a Mars launch. Frankly, it would be a lousy idea. Not only would you burn a shitload of fuel escaping the Earth's gravity, but you'd have to burn a shitload of additional fuel to escape from the moon's gravity. And of course, it's assumed that you would bring with you enough fuel to later escape from Mars' gravity when it was time to come home.

And it's not like we can refuel en route.
As Robert Zubrin has pointed out, you can manufacture rocket fuel on Mars for the return journey home, which GREATLY lessens the cost of any Mars mission. You're quite correct about the nuttiness of using the Moon as a 'stepping stone' for going to Mars.

And, of course, a lot of the people who are talking about going to Mars are not even intending to return to Earth. They're thinking of it as a one-way voyage.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
As Robert Zubrin has pointed out, you can manufacture rocket fuel on Mars for the return journey home, which GREATLY lessens the cost of any Mars mission. You're quite correct about the nuttiness of using the Moon as a 'stepping stone' for going to Mars.

And, of course, a lot of the people who are talking about going to Mars are not even intending to return to Earth. They're thinking of it as a one-way voyage.
I think I'd like to see a robotic proof-of-concept first. It makes a lot more sense to launch robots at Mars, and use them to build a habitable shelter on Mars. See if they can keep it habitable for a year or two... then talk about sending people to occupy it.

Otherwise, the one way trip will culminate with the astronauts looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger at the end of Total Recall.

Jan 2016
Colorado
I think I'd like to see a robotic proof-of-concept first. It makes a lot more sense to launch robots at Mars, and use them to build a habitable shelter on Mars. See if they can keep it habitable for a year or two... then talk about sending people to occupy it.

Otherwise, the one way trip will culminate with the astronauts looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger at the end of Total Recall.
Oh, I quite agree. And that IS the plan! I will try to find details, but there is a robotic mission planned to see if rocket fuel can be manufactured in situ on Mars. And yes, I think we should try to build a habitable shelter on Mars BEFORE we send humans there. In fact, we should try to locate hollow lava tubes on Mars, which could be sealed off and then occupied, as that would be the ideal way to protect humans from radiation exposure. No ozone layer on Mars, you know.....