Trump tweets that the moon is part of Mars

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
I think I'd like to see a robotic proof-of-concept first. It makes a lot more sense to launch robots at Mars, and use them to build a habitable shelter on Mars. See if they can keep it habitable for a year or two... then talk about sending people to occupy it.

Otherwise, the one way trip will culminate with the astronauts looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger at the end of Total Recall.
Always been a fan of manned space flight but the costs and risk are not worth the return. Send robots.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Oh, I quite agree. And that IS the plan! I will try to find details, but there is a robotic mission planned to see if rocket fuel can be manufactured in situ on Mars. And yes, I think we should try to build a habitable shelter on Mars BEFORE we send humans there. In fact, we should try to locate hollow lava tubes on Mars, which could be sealed off and then occupied, as that would be the ideal way to protect humans from radiation exposure. No ozone layer on Mars, you know.....
BTW, there was a two-season National Geographic TV 'extravaganza' about the attempted colonization of Mars that featured exactly this idea, of attempting to find a hollow lava tube on Mars, on the first human expedition there, and barely succeeding in time, before the mission had to be aborted. It was all pretty interesting, and worth watching.....

Jan 2016
Colorado
Always been a fan of manned space flight but the costs and risk are not worth the return. Send robots.
It's true that we get a LOT more 'bang for the buck' from robotic exploration, and for right now, I'm quite content with that------if we'd be willing to greatly EXPAND our robotic exploration of the Solar System!

But in the longer run, the idea is that we MUST create a multi-planetary civilization. We have "all our eggs in one basket". That is not wise. It would only take one cosmic catastrophe, or one serious human fuckup, like a nanotechnology experiment gone terribly awry, or a bio-engineered weapon being turned loose, to wipe out the human race. Once we are on more than ONE planet, the risk of human extinction goes WAY down.....

Nov 2015
UK
LOL - so you have the ability to read his mind now??
Before here, I clicked on the news story in the UK and read the tweet. Anyone who is thick or has an agenda, they would read it that the moon is part of Mars. If they have an average and above IQ and also mature, it's obvious that it's about the Mars and Moon missions.

Did I have to explain the obvious! I thought there was a thread on Trump's level of English sometime back. It would appear to be too high for left wingers.

Jul 2017
U.S.A.
Before here, I clicked on the news story in the UK and read the tweet. Anyone who is thick or has an agenda, they would read it that the moon is part of Mars. If they have an average and above IQ and also mature, it's obvious that it's about the Mars and Moon missions.

Did I have to explain the obvious! I thought there was a thread on Trump's level of English sometime back. It would appear to be too high for left wingers.
You are correct.
Trump writes like a 4th grader, so it's hard to make any logical sense of his tweets.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more

has issued a bizarre tweet suggesting that the Moon is a part of Mars.

The US president made the strange assertion while calling on Nasa to be more ambitious in its future plans for space exploration.

He wrote Friday: ‘For all of the money we are spending, Nasa should NOT be talking about going to the Moon – We did that 50 years ago.
Donald Trump thinks the Moon is a part of Mars | Metro News

Trump attacks Nasa and claims the moon is 'a part' of Mars

you were saying ...