Trump Urged Top Aide to Help Giuliani Client Facing DOJ Charges

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Donald Trump pressed then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson to help persuade the Justice Department to drop a criminal case against an Iranian-Turkish gold trader who was a client of Rudy Giuliani, according to three people familiar with the 2017 meeting in the Oval Office.Tillerson refused, arguing it would constitute interference in an ongoing investigation of the trader, Reza Zarrab, according to the people. They said other participants in the Oval Office were shocked by the request.

Tillerson immediately repeated his objections to then-Chief of Staff John Kelly in a hallway conversation just outside the Oval Office, emphasizing that the request would be illegal. Neither episode has been previously reported, and all of the people spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the conversations. The White House declined to comment. Kelly and Tillerson declined to comment via representatives. Another person familiar with the matter said the Justice Department never considered dropping the criminal case.

Zarrab was being prosecuted in federal court in New York at the time on charges of evading U.S. sanctions against Iran’s nuclear program. He had hired former Attorney General Michael Mukasey and Giuliani, who has said he reached out repeatedly to U.S. officials to seek a diplomatic solution for his client outside the courts. The president’s request to Tillerson -- which included asking him to speak with Giuliani -- bears the hallmarks of Trump’s governing style, defined by his willingness to sweep aside the customary procedures and constraints of government to pursue matters outside normal channels. Tillerson’s objection came to light as Trump’s dealings with foreign leaders face intense scrutiny following the July 25 call with Ukraine’s president that has sparked an impeachment inquiry in the House.

The episode is also likely to fuel long-standing concerns from some of Trump’s critics about his policies toward Turkey and his relationship with its authoritarian president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Zarrab’s release was a high priority for Erdogan until the gold trader agreed to cooperate with prosecutors in New York.

The corruption in this WH never ever stops.

May 2012
By the wall
Figures again, you didn't bother to read the actual article.
Of course I did and there is zero proof of anything. Every source is anonymous (as usual) and everyone we do know about hasn't commented on anything. I believe that is mentioned in the fourth paragraph.

You are just posting more lies from your liberal websites.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Of course I did and there is zero proof of anything. Every source is anonymous (as usual) and everyone we do know about hasn't commented on anything. I believe that is mentioned in the fourth paragraph.

You are just posting more lies from your liberal websites.
Since when is Bloomberg a liberal website?

And of course, you won't discuss the actual article...again

Yet we are to believe that you have "sources"??

That's laughable.

No wonder Tillerson called Trump a moron.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
More from the link

At one point, the State Department under Tillerson got involved in discussions over possibly swapping Zarrab for Brunson, the jailed pastor, but the matter was eventually dropped because Turkey kept escalating its demands, according to another person familiar with the timeline of events.

Tillerson has said publicly that the president frequently asked him to do things that were illegal.

“So often, the president would say ‘Here’s what I want to do and here’s how I want to do it,’ and I would have to say to him, ‘Mr. President I understand what you want to do but you can’t do it that way,”’ Tillerson said in an on-stage interview with Bob Schieffer in Texas last year. “It violates the law, it violates treaty you know and he just, he got really frustrated when we’d have those conversations.”

May 2012
By the wall
Since when is Bloomberg a liberal website?

And of course, you won't discuss the actual article...again

Yet we are to believe that you have "sources"??

That's laughable.

No wonder Tillerson called Trump a moron.
And yet that is the only thing in my entire post you can dispute?

That bloomerg isn't liberal?

Now that's funny.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
And yet that is the only thing in my entire post you can dispute?

That bloomerg isn't liberal?

Now that's funny.

No, you are just trolling yet another thread with nothing of substance to offer. Par for the course with you though.

It's sad that you apparently condone all the corruption in the administration and don't have the foresight to see how damaging this will be in the end for the United States.

May 2012
By the wall
No, you are just trolling yet another thread with nothing of substance to offer. Par for the course with you though.

It's sad that you apparently condone all the corruption in the administration and don't have the foresight to see how damaging this will be in the end for the United States.
Sorry but I posted on topic.

You are the only one trolling here.

I stated that nothing in your link provides any evidence and you wouldn't deny that then you attack me for trolling like you always do when you don't have an argument.

That is the par for the course.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Sorry but I posted on topic.

You are the only one trolling here.

I stated that nothing in your link provides any evidence and you wouldn't deny that then you attack me for trolling like you always do when you don't have an argument.

That is the par for the course.

No you did not post anything about the actual topic other than "proof" of nothing

Plenty of evidence is the link that you just ignored

Then again most trolls have sad lives.