Trump Wants to Attend Next May Day Parade in Russia

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
"President Trump said Friday he is considering visiting Russia next year to attend its May Day Parade.

"I was invited. I am thinking about it. It is right in the middle of our campaign season," Trump told reporters at the White House.

Trump said he would like to attend the parade, which Russian President Vladimir Putin invited him to earlier this year, but indicated he may not because it is in the middle of the 2020 presidential campaign season.

"It's a very big deal, celebrating the end of the war," Trump told reporters. "I appreciate the invitation, it's right in the middle of the political season.

*Skip*"

This celebration is commemorating the Russian Revolution of 1917, isn't it? International Workers' Day?

Why would Trump want to be at a celebration of communism?

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
"President Trump said Friday he is considering visiting Russia next year to attend its May Day Parade.

"I was invited. I am thinking about it. It is right in the middle of our campaign season," Trump told reporters at the White House.

Trump said he would like to attend the parade, which Russian President Vladimir Putin invited him to earlier this year, but indicated he may not because it is in the middle of the 2020 presidential campaign season.

"It's a very big deal, celebrating the end of the war," Trump told reporters. "I appreciate the invitation, it's right in the middle of the political season.

*Skip*"

This celebration is commemorating the Russian Revolution of 1917, isn't it? International Workers' Day?

It's a parade celebrating victory over NAZI Germany.

Not the celebration of communism.

Reactions: The Man
Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic

Pretty sure he's thinking of Victory Day. They don't hold May Day parades in Moscow.

At least, not official ones. Maybe he's planning to join a Communist Party march. That would be entertaining:

Dec 2015
SoCal

*Skip*"

Trump will meet an adoring audience for sure - no booing allowed, but I don't think booing is a common occurrence in Russia. Russians jeer I suspect, but I need to clear that statement with @The Man first.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Trump will meet an adoring audience for sure - no booing allowed, but I don't think booing is a common occurrence in Russia. Russians jeer I suspect, but I need to clear that statement with @The Man first.
Whistling is the main expression of disapproval over there, similar to booing and such in this part of the world; here, for example:
At a Nika (Russian cinema's answer to Oscars) awards ceremony in 2012, the socialite and outspoken opposition supporter Ksenia Sobchak (who, admittedly, has got away with all kinds of crap she would never have, if her late dad, Anatoly Sobchak, wasn't governor of St. Petersburg and Putin's own close friend and mentor in politics, back in the 90s, and her mom - a powerful senator, to this day lol) who was co-hosting asked the actress and renowned humanitarian Chulpan Khamatova about her own close support for Putin, and specifically, whether she would be such a big supporter of his government, if she didn't, in turn, need his backing for all her charity projects. The crowd, mainly other actors and actresses, whistled at her, for bringing politics into the ceremony lol

Anyway, as to the parade, yeah, weird.

It is mainly other ex-Soviet rulers who typically join Putin as guest at these parades; for example, Nazarbaev, the dictator of Kazakhstan, was there this year

Although, last year, he hosted Israel's Netanyahu and Serbia's Vucic

And Xi was there in 2015

when some Chinese troops took part in the parade as guests, for first time ever
(Russian troops later marched in Beijing, in turn).

Last edited: