Trump wants to limit citizenship for legal immigrants on public assistance.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
WASHINGTON — The Trump administration is expected to issue a proposal in coming weeks that would make it harder for legal immigrants to become citizens or get green cards if they have ever used a range of popular public welfare programs, including Obamacare, four sources with knowledge of the plan told NBC News.

The move, which would not need congressional approval, is part of White House senior adviser Stephen Miller's plan to limit the number of migrants who obtain legal status in the U.S. each year.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/now-trump-administration-wants-limit-citizenship-legal-immigrants-n897931

so, now he wants to go after legal immigrants? Let's just be clear. These are not freeloaders. They are not sitting at home waiting for welfare checks. These are folks, some of who work 80+ hours a week, who still can't make ends meet. The only thing "good" about this proposal is that it would settle the argument , once and for all, that it's about "illegal" immigration. It exposes that lie once and for all. This is Stephen Millers baby. He wants to target folks with green cards. He wants to target legal immigrants if their children use Obamacare.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
Redefining “public charge” and “means-tested public benefits” to span a much wider variety of federal programs. The draft order refers to all “public benefits for which eligibility or amount is determined in any way on the basis of income, resources or financial aid.” Though rulemaking might narrow its scope, this definition could include a wide variety of federal programs such as school lunches, college financial aid, home heating assistance, and public health services that are not included in the welfare law’s means-tested definition.

Deporting legal permanent residents for using benefits. Under current interpretation, green-card holders may become deportable as public charges only if they use cash welfare or are institutionalized in long-term care funded by the government. (Under the welfare law, they can only be deported as public charges within their first five years of U.S. residency.) If implemented as written in the leaked executive order, legal immigrants could be ordered deported for using a wide variety of benefits, potentially including food and nutrition assistance, federally subsidized health insurance through Medicaid or the ACA, and education benefits.

Refusing to admit prospective immigrants who could become public charges. The executive order could also exclude large numbers of people who are otherwise eligible from being admitted as LPRs. As written, the order could be interpreted to make a high-school degree or better a prerequisite for admission or adjustment to a green card, for instance, or having a certain level of assets. The result could be restrictions on low-income or less well-educated immigrants from entering via some family reunification channels. And some people who are already in the United States—for instance nonimmigrants married to a U.S. citizen—would be unable to adjust to LPR status.

Seeking repayment of benefits from sponsors. The draft order also instructs federal agencies to request reimbursement for benefits used by legal immigrants. (The welfare law currently allows agencies to collect benefits used by LPRs who have not become citizens or who have not worked for at least ten years.) The government would need to determine the cost of benefits used by each immigrant, locate his or her sponsor, send a notice requesting payment, and ultimately pursue the sponsor legally or hire a collection agency.
https://www.migrationpolicy.org/news/leaked-draft-possible-trump-executive-order-public-benefits-would-spell-chilling-effects-legal

leaked draft.

Jul 2014
Border Fence
This makes his supporters all giddy. They don't care if it ever becomes law...they are just happy Trump is giving aliens the business.

Keeps Trump supporters happy before mid-terms.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
This makes his supporters all giddy. They don't care if it ever becomes law...they are just happy Trump is giving aliens the business.

Keeps Trump supporters happy before mid-terms.
I've never understood that. They've earned the right to be here in the way that Repulican's say is "the right way". Yet, they're still being targeted. In fact, I don't even understand how immigration is such a divisive topic?

Sep 2013
On a hill
I've never understood that. They've earned the right to be here in the way that Repulican's say is "the right way". Yet, they're still being targeted. In fact, I don't even understand how immigration is such a divisive topic?
We only want smart, educated (at someone else's expense) perfect people.

Nov 2010
WASHINGTON — The Trump administration is expected to issue a proposal in coming weeks that would make it harder for legal immigrants to become citizens or get green cards if they have ever used a range of popular public welfare programs, including Obamacare, four sources with knowledge of the plan told NBC News.

The move, which would not need congressional approval, is part of White House senior adviser Stephen Miller's plan to limit the number of migrants who obtain legal status in the U.S. each year.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/now-trump-administration-wants-limit-citizenship-legal-immigrants-n897931

so, now he wants to go after legal immigrants? Let's just be clear. These are not freeloaders. They are not sitting at home waiting for welfare checks. These are folks, some of who work 80+ hours a week, who still can't make ends meet. The only thing "good" about this proposal is that it would settle the argument , once and for all, that it's about "illegal" immigration. It exposes that lie once and for all. This is Stephen Millers baby. He wants to target folks with green cards. He wants to target legal immigrants if their children use Obamacare.
Fuck republicans whining about spending money for people's healthcare, to feed its people, to improve quality of life while they give billions away to filthy rich people and spend an obscene amount on the military. Jesus christ, what do republicans think is noble about spending so much money on killing and destroying but helping fellow citizens have a better quality of life is so bad? Are they truly that much of heartless assholes?

Nov 2010
right wing scapegoat, that's why. prevalence of right wing propaganda and an idiotic general public so easily duped by the bullshit. Illegals are not even that much of a problem, they likely help more than hurt because most work their asses off doing jobs nobody else will do.

Decades if these types of bullshit scapegoats and bogus issues while the rich rob the country of all its wealth

Sep 2012
California
This started with the socalled Welfare Reform Newtie pushed in the 90s and Clinton signed. It made my mother, a legal resident of over 40 years, into a second class person in regards to all kinds of benefits she enjoyed prior to that passage. Because she held a Spanish passport, when she had a stroke and needed help there was none. I ended up having to take her back to Spain for the last couple years of her life. The second she stepped on Spanish soil, she got socialized medicine, no questions asked even though she had lived in America since 1961 and had never paid a nickel into Spanish taxes. It broke my heart. Before any of you start saying I should have paid for everything let me explain that I did to the best of my abilities for years. She was treated like dirt by SSI, Medicaid and even immigration services. She had been married to American men, raised four American children, was a housewife and did have a few jobs along the way but none of it mattered, she was an alien.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Oh Lordy ....

Another NBC fake news story based on leaks .....

I think I will wait until this "expected" proposal is actually proposed to comment on it.

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
Oh Lordy ....

Another NBC fake news story based on leaks .....

I think I will wait until this "expected" proposal is actually proposed to comment on it.
Show us a single story reported by a major news network on the basis of more than one confidential source which later proved to be false or at least partly inaccurate.