Trump White House urging allies to prepare for possible RBG departure

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
The White House is reaching out to political allies and conservative activist groups to prepare for an ailing Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s possible death or departure from the Supreme Court — an event that would trigger the second bitter confirmation battle of President Donald Trump’s tenure.
The outreach began after Ginsburg, 85, on Monday missed oral arguments at the court for the first time in her 25 years on the bench. The justice, who was nominated to the court by President Bill Clinton in 1993, announced in late December that she underwent a surgical procedure to remove two cancerous growths from her lungs.
The White House "is taking the temperature on possible short-list candidates, reaching out to key stakeholders, and just making sure that people are informed on the process," said a source familiar with those conversations, who spoke on background given the delicate nature of the subject. "They're doing it very quietly, of course, because the idea is not to be opportunistic, but just to be prepared so we aren't caught flat-footed."
Trump White House urging allies to prepare for possible RBG departure

If you thought the Kavanaugh hearings were bad, then strap in because you haven't seen anything yet.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
I suspect the Left will attempt to burn this Country down when the President replaces RBG.

This will be a difficult time for America at best.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
Looking forward to the fireworks. The Dems were way too gentle with the Reps in Obama's last year, they need to make up for that now.

Jan 2016
Colorado
I can just imagine all the folks in the Trump White House, rubbing their hands in gleeful anticipation of the demise of Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

I wonder if they have a betting pool going on just how much longer she might live.

Dec 2015
From Your Heart!
As I said before, according to news reports Justice Ginsburg has been working from home as she convalesces and has even hired at least two additional law clerks for the 2020 session. That doesn't exactly sound like she's hanging it up. Of course, Republicans are nastily salivating at their chops on the thought of her departure from the High Court in order to install another ultra conservative. But not if Ginsburg has anything to say about it. But you're right in that it will become World War 3 if Republicans get the chance to elect another justice to the high court.

Jan 2016
Colorado
As I said before, according to news reports Justice Ginsburg has been working from home as she convalesces and has even hired at least two additional law clerks for the 2020 session. That doesn't exactly sound like she's hanging it up. Of course, Republicans are nastily salivating at their chops on the thought of her departure from the High Court in order to install another ultra conservative. But not if Ginsburg has anything to say about it. But you're right in that it will become World War 3 if Republicans get the chance to elect another justice to the high court.
Like Mark Twain, RBG might have to start sending out messages to the press saying that "The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated...."