Trump will not be President unless the Electoral College elects him in December.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
The electoral college consists of 538 electors, and of those, a candidate needs 270 votes to become president. Although the Founding Fathers wanted the people to have a say, there was concern that a charismatic tyrant could manipulate public opinion and come into power. Alexander Hamilton briefly addressed these concerns in the Federalist Papers. The idea was that the electors would be a group of people who would ensure that a qualified person would become president.
The first design of the electoral college allowed each state the same number of electors as senators, which was always two, plus the same number of its U.S. Representatives. Each elector met within its own state rather than one large meeting altogether. The founding fathers believed this would prevent bribery, corruption and secret dealings. The candidate with the most electoral votes, provided it was the majority, became president. The candidate with the second most electoral votes became vice president. This lasted through the first four presidential elections when the powers that be realized ties were inevitable. The process was changed to include one vote for president and a separate vote for vice president, but still required a majority vote in order for a candidate to take office.
https://www.reference.com/government-politics/purpose-electoral-college-c9f12a8548d434ee#

The EC should do their job and refuse to elect an unqualified tyrant or they should cease to exist.
The EC caused Bush to become President when the people voted for Gore and it's happening all over again.

Reactions: 2 people

Rorschach

Former Staff
Aug 2012
america
True!

But, the electoral college will elect him in December.

(Well, unless they get the proof that he is actually, Russian Sleeper agent, and KGB comrade Donal Trumpinsky...best friend and confidant of Vladimir Putin!)

Jun 2013
VA
Sorry, but unless Trump is convicted of a crime....or caught on video committing a crime...in the next 3 weeks...

the EC WILL follow the will of the State voters and grant him the EC votes that he won.

The Electoral College's "job" is not to deny somebody the Presidency because "they don't like him" or you and I don't like him.

The voters voted....Trump won the States he needed to win the EC....he has not committed a crime that a BROAD swath of the American people including Republicans and even Trump supporters would see as a crime inn the next 3 weeks?

.....he becomes President. End of story.

Jun 2013
VA
True!

But, the electoral college will elect him in December.

(Well, unless they get the proof that he is actually, Russian Sleeper agent, and KGB comrade Donal Trumpinsky...best friend and confidant of Vladimir Putin!)
Actually, unless Trump were found to be Constitutionally unqualified....i.e. it came out and was proven that he was born in Russia....

he could literally go on TV before the Electoral College voted and say "I'm going to let Vladimir Putin dictate my foreign policy as President"....

and the EC would still have NO legal or Constitutional reason to deny him the Presidency.

Reactions: 1 person

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
I'm all for reforming the electoral college. But, we can't change the rules in the middle of the game.

Besides, Hillary Clinton already conceded.

Rorschach

Former Staff
Aug 2012
america
It would be cool, if they did have a reason to not elect the Donald, and chose someone like Marco Rubio, or Jeb Bush, instead.

I would dig that.

But, not going to happen, as it would cause.....problems.

ALL those "predictions" you guys made about "violence from Trump supporters if he loses?"

Well, I'm thinking that snatching the Presidency from him without REAL, and SOLID reasoning....would be even more indusive for such violence......

Dec 2006
In the Witness Protection Program
Actually, unless Trump were found to be Constitutionally unqualified....i.e. it came out and was proven that he was born in Russia....

he could literally go on TV before the Electoral College voted and say "I'm going to let Vladimir Putin dictate my foreign policy as President"....

and the EC would still have NO legal or Constitutional reason to deny him the Presidency.
They do not need a legal or constitutional reason.

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
Sign the petition:

Faithless Now

Sure, it probably won't help. But it can't hurt either.
I can't get behind that. Our political system survived Thomas Jefferson. It survived Andrew Jackson. It survived Rutherford Hayes (who got the WH on a hideous, backroom deal). It survived four elections of Franklin Roosevelt. It survived McCarthy and Nixon. It survived Bill Clinton's depredations. It survived the debacle of 2000. No reason to burn the thing down now.