TRUMP's first 2020 challanger? JEFF FLAKE, AZ!

Jul 2015
Florida
TRUMP's first 2020 challenger? JEFF FLAKE, AZ!

I do NOT think we will last that long if Trump isn't decidedly EJECTED FROM OFFICE. But the GOP'rs are NO DOUBT organizing in case he makes it that long.

[FONT=&amp]Flake doesn't rule out challenging Trump in 2020

[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]BY JACQUELINE THOMSEN - 05/27/18 10:02 AM EDT[/FONT] 110[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]469
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]© Getty

[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Sen. Jeff Flake (Ariz.), one of President Trump's most vociferous GOP critics, on Sunday did not rule out challenging him in the Republican primary in 2020.
“It’s not in my plans but I have not ruled anything out,” Flake said on “Meet The Press” of running for president in 2020.

“I do hope that somebody runs on the Republican side other than the president, if nothing else than simply to remind Republicans what conservatism is and what Republicans have traditionally stood for,” he added....

http://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/389556-flake-doesnt-rule-out-challenging-trump-in-2020
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

Last edited:

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Has a sitting U.S. president ever encountered a significant primary challenge for his second term?

Jan 2016
Colorado
Has a sitting U.S. president ever encountered a significant primary challenge for his second term?
Certainly, yes. In 1980, Jimmy Carter had a serious challenge from Ted Kennedy, for example. In 1976, Gerald Ford had a serious challenge from Ronald Reagan. Both those candidates went on to lose their general election, so having a serious challenger from within your own party may very well contribute to a loss in the general election.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Franklin Pierce, the 14th President, was denied renomination by his party who went with James Buchanan instead. He's the only sitting president who'd gained office by election to not be renominated.

John Tyler, Millard Fillmore, Andrew Johnson and Chester Arthur all became president after serving as vice president to a president who died in office. Each of them failed to win the nomination of their party in the next election.

These were all from the days before the current primary system though.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Jeff Snowflake is NOT very popular with Republicans at all.

He can't even carry his own state as evidence by him not seeking re-election.

He will stand a better chance if he runs on the Democrat Party ticket or the Communist Party, USA ticket.

There's not much difference between the two.

One's just a little more forth coming.