Trump's leadership discussion

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
I see occasionally folks bring up Trump as a leader. I usually bitch about it right there. But I think since Trump is the president of the US, his "leadership" is of concern. My initial question... (sorry for copying myself from another thread), "How can Trump lead when he's so hated?"

There's plenty more to discuss on his leadership, but that's what I am wondering at the moment.

Jets

Feb 2011
New York
I do not believe President Trump makes an effective leader. These quotes sum up those qualities he lacks:

“The challenge of leadership is to be strong, but not rude; be kind, but not weak; be bold, but not a bully; be thoughtful, but not lazy; be humble, but not timid; be proud, but not arrogant; have humor, but without folly.” – Jim Rohn

“The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office.”
-Dwight Eisenhower

Sep 2012
SoCal
I do not believe President Trump makes an effective leader. These quotes sum up those qualities he lacks:

“The challenge of leadership is to be strong, but not rude; be kind, but not weak; be bold, but not a bully; be thoughtful, but not lazy; be humble, but not timid; be proud, but not arrogant; have humor, but without folly.” – Jim Rohn

“The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office.”
-Dwight Eisenhower
tRump is a rude, arrogant, weak, lazy bully and not at all humble, and with no integrity whatsoever. This guy knows ...

Is Trump a president or a timeshare salesman?

Apr 2019
down on Rue Morgue Avenue
One of the best leaders I ever worked under was, I think, a narcissist.

He thought quite a lot of himself, but he also thought highly of those who worked hard and fell under his command. I think he generalized his positive feelings about himself to those who were under him. That said, he was tough on those who were lazy or weren't willing to do hard work (those folks hated him).

I think Trump is the same.
yes , to a fault, he thinks he is pretty great. But he generalizes this to patriotic America too.

Reactions: Chief

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
One of the best leaders I ever worked under was, I think, a narcissist.

He thought quite a lot of himself, but he also thought highly of those who worked hard and fell under his command. I think he generalized his positive feelings about himself to those who were under him. That said, he was tough on those who were lazy or weren't willing to do hard work (those folks hated him).

I think Trump is the same.
yes , to a fault, he thinks he is pretty great. But he generalizes this to patriotic America too.
Narcissism is not useful for a leader... but a side effect of it is, which is confidence. I'd argue that Trump's confidence is a façade... or he wouldn't lash out at every little thing. And also, if Trump thought his lieutenants were great, then he would not undermine them so much, publicly throw them under the bus, etc.

I don't really get the feeling like Trump is for patriots. I think Trump loves being loved... but that doesn't mean that he returns it. I am open for discussion on that, but I have not seen any examples of it in the 3 years his leadership has been in the spotlight.

Jan 2018
Plamer Earth
Some of the best leaders I've known led by example. One thing about Trump is (they say) he never smokes, drinks or does drugs. For me that is one sign of a leader. It shows a dedication to be stronger and sharper then others and never allowing oneself to lose control. We have all seen the embarrassing photos of our most prominent politicians, looking sloshed with a drink in hand (or a joint in hand). I've seen no such photos of Trump. Just one facet of leadership. Just imagine Trump after a pint of rum...scary thought but it would be hilarious.

Reactions: Chief
Jan 2018
Plamer Earth
I believe that Trump has attempted to gain the support of our military and their families.. forgive wounded warriors college debt, end ridiculous rules of engagement, vastly improved the horribly mismanaged VA and, in general, Trump seems to be reluctant to send our soldiers to war. To me, this is a sign of leadership. It might be all BS but he does seem to try and give respect to our troops. He has not had a marine hold an umbrella over his head in the rain (as did Obama)..... This effort, I believe, is another sign of a competent leader.

Jan 2018
Plamer Earth
Another sign of leadership is the ability to hold up under pressure. However much one despises the man, they must admit that he , deservedly or not has been put through the wringer and relentlessly attacked from every angle. The pressure must surely be intense. So far (crossing my fingers and knocking on wood) he has not completely "wigged out".

CtC

Mar 2019
California
Another sign of leadership is the ability to hold up under pressure. However much one despises the man, they must admit that he , deservedly or not has been put through the wringer and relentlessly attacked from every angle. The pressure must surely be intense. So far (crossing my fingers and knocking on wood) he has not completely "wigged out".
And just consider the ALTERNATIVE we could have had. Trump may not SPEAK a good example ,but his ACTIONS have helped this country grow.