Trumps number on the rise

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Are you surprised or not? 42.4% at RCP.

Bolstered by the strong economy and quickly shifting numbers on tax reform, President Donald Trump's approval rating hit 40% in a new Quinnipiac poll on Wednesday, his best score in this survey in seven months.

A slim majority of voters, 51%, say they approve of how Trump is handling the economy, his highest mark on this question since his inauguration. Seven in 10 American voters, 70%, say the US economy is excellent or good -- the best mark on this question since 2001. Three in four, 75%, have positive views of their own personal financial situations.

And for the first time, voters say Trump, rather than former President Barack Obama, is primarily responsible for the state of the economy, 48% for Trump vs. 41% for Obama. This is a reversal from Obama's 49-40% advantage last month and a stark contrast to Obama's 67-19% spread last March. Voters are now virtually evenly split on Trump's handling of taxes: 45% approve and 47% disapprove. That's up 10 points from a 35% approval rating on this topic just before the GOP's sweeping tax reform legislation passed.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/07/politics/trump-approval-economy-poll-quinnipiac/index.html

Reactions: 3 people

Nicnam

Former Staff
Dec 2013
-
Interesting, thanks for the article. :)

I had heard he was up a bit higher before the State of the Union Address, but when you're at at the bottom there is no where else to go.

Reactions: 2 people

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA

Bolstered by the strong economy and quickly shifting numbers on tax reform, President Donald Trump's approval rating hit 40% in a new Quinnipiac poll on Wednesday, his best score in this survey in seven months.

A slim majority of voters, 51%, say they approve of how Trump is handling the economy, his highest mark on this question since his inauguration. Seven in 10 American voters, 70%, say the US economy is excellent or good -- the best mark on this question since 2001. Three in four, 75%, have positive views of their own personal financial situations.

And for the first time, voters say Trump, rather than former President Barack Obama, is primarily responsible for the state of the economy, 48% for Trump vs. 41% for Obama. This is a reversal from Obama's 49-40% advantage last month and a stark contrast to Obama's 67-19% spread last March. Voters are now virtually evenly split on Trump's handling of taxes: 45% approve and 47% disapprove. That's up 10 points from a 35% approval rating on this topic just before the GOP's sweeping tax reform legislation passed.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/07/politics/trump-approval-economy-poll-quinnipiac/index.html
I wonder yet if people know who the tax bill is going to blow a huge hole in our deficit and how that's going to paid for yet. I suspect they won't be happy about how's it going to be paid for when they hear the news about that.

Reactions: 1 person
Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Sort of surprising.

But we sometimes need to remind ourselves that the public in general is a lot less polarized/passionate than political forum participants. Or event protestors.

Trump was a lot less beligerent/annoying during the SOTU speech a week or two ago. That prolly got him some brownie points. But in the bigger picture, most people don't even read newspapers anymore.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
I wonder yet if people know who the tax bill is going to blow a huge hole in our deficit and how that's going to paid for yet. I suspect they won't be happy about how's it going to be paid for when they hear the news about that.

So you are thinking the "news hasn't gotten out yet"??

Jul 2014
midwest
Most Americans care about their own finances more than the nations, and don't care about, or even know about the deficit.

They care about their own paycheck and their own bills.

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
So you are thinking the "news hasn't gotten out yet"??
Already being reported it's going to be through "entitlement" cuts

Ryan is already talking about welfare reform.

So yeah, that has not gotten a lot of attention yet

But I suspect in between now and the mid-terms it will get a lot of attention.

And a lot of other things can happen between now and Nov. A lot depends on what the FR decides to do

In the meantime, D's keep racking up the wins in special elections.

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
Most Americans care about their own finances more than the nations, and don't care about, or even know about the deficit.

They care about their own paycheck and their own bills.
So your saying when they find out about entitlement cuts and their health care costs rising 10% in 2019 they are not going to care?

I beg to differ.

Oct 2011
Washington State

Wow! One more reason for a parade.