Trump's reverse "Manchurian Candidate" gambit (my latest rant)

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
to be clear, Trump has managed to win the nomination for a major political party, and dominate the news cycle on a consistent basis, based solely on making flame-bait comments ( most of which are bald-faced lies). We heard of The Manchurian Candidate. Trump is the reverse Manchurian Candidate. Here's what I mean by that.

Turn on any major news network. It's a sure bet that it won't be long before there's a Trump surrogate that's being given a forum to promote an alternate version of reality. As American's we've been subjected to a steady stream of this for the better part of 15 plus months. It's not anything new for a politician to try to sway our opinions. We pretty much expect that. What's unusual in Trump's case are the blatant attempts to brainwash the American voters. That is, the ones that haven't already fallen for his con.

In some ways this is a good thing. Having to engage in critical thought , in of itself, is never a bad thing. In a way I suppose it keeps us on our toes. I especially find it somewhat oddly entertaining to observe the body language of Trump surrogates. My favorite observation is how they all tend to use smiling as a defense mechanism. A close second are the ones with expression on their faces that reveal they know darn well they're lying. Almost as if to say..."I can't believe these words are coming out of my mouth".

However, being bombarded with so many false statements it's next to impossible to process them? That's not so good. It's not good for the American psyche and it's not good for our democracy. Trump and his campaign has engaged in so many flat out false , misleading statements , or lies , by all rights, no one should take anything coming from his camp seriously. It's so flagrant the the media doesn't even know how to cover it. It's their job to be objective. But, if they don't fact check Trump and his campaign people actually start to believe the lies.

They begin to accept the lies are the "new normal".

Rant over.

Last edited:
May 2012
By the wall
I would disagree.

I think the lines are now pretty well drawn, not many will be changing opinion. Hell, my whole family has already voted. Most of us for Trump by the way. The election is in its final stages, I think its too late to brainwash anyone.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
kindly, go back and read the OP again. Paying closer attention to the premise point of voters being subjected to Trump , and his surrogates , attempts to brainwash voters. It's not talking about whether it's too late now. Its talking about the cumulative effect of what Trump and his campaign surrogates are doing. Which btw, are going to last far longer than just this election alone.