Trump's Supporters Think He'd 'Operate More Effectively' Without Congress or the Courts

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I have noticed this myself. There is an authoritarian streak a mile wide in the political right wing in this country. Granted, presidents have been amassing more power for some time now, but Trump has tried to take it to absurd levels and many of his supporters are just fine with that.

The percentage of Republicans who think it would be too risky to give presidents more power has sunk from 70 to 51 percent in a year. Since 2016, that number has fallen 31 points. The share of people polled who say presidents could operate more "effectively" if he did not have to worry about Congress or the courts is up 16 percent in a single year, to 43 percent. This poll is from this summer, before the impeachment inquiry began in earnest. Where are the numbers now? In a poll last week, 53 percent of Republicans said Trump is a better president than Abraham Lincoln.

It's hard to deny what's happening here: the support for concentrating federal power in one person is building. Some people don't seem too concerned about checks and balances. There is a partisan fluctuation at play: under Obama in 2016, the first year listed in this particular study, 66 percent of Democrats thought granting the president more power was too risky. 82 percent think so now. But among the president's base, right now, the hunger is growing for a slide towards dictatorship—something for which there's been anecdotal evidence for some time.

Sep 2019
Idaho
I have noticed this myself. There is an authoritarian streak a mile wide in the political right wing in this country. Granted, presidents have been amassing more power for some time now, but Trump has tried to take it to absurd levels and many of his supporters are just fine with that.

The statement is obviously true but nobody advocates for such a scenario. It's like saying Trump supporters think driving would be safer if the speed limit was 5mph. Well yeah obviously but....
Stupid thread reaching a new low in here of looking to discredit Trump supporters.

Reactions: Slartibartfast

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
The statement is obviously true but nobody advocates for such a scenario. It's like saying Trump supporters think driving would be safer if the speed limit was 5mph. Well yeah obviously but....
Stupid thread reaching a new low in here of looking to discredit Trump supporters.
I know people personally who would be fine with Trump being a dictator. They don't know or care about the constitution. All they care about is that whites are losing their dominance in our society.

Nov 2015
UK
Well, possibly social loneliness resulted in this thread, but do you notice the Dems were high under Obama but switched due to TDS.

Sep 2019
Idaho
I know people personally who would be fine with Trump being a dictator. They don't know or care about the constitution. All they care about is that whites are losing their dominance in our society.
And I know people who would personally would be fine with Obama being dictator. So what?

Sep 2019
Idaho
Well, possibly social loneliness resulted in this thread, but do you notice the Dems were high under Obama but switched due to TDS.
TDS is real. These poor souls are completely unhinged. I detested obama and his policies but I saw him as a human being that I had honest disagreement with. TDS victims think Trump is something less than human and he along with those that support him should be sent off to an Auschwitz like facility.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
LMAO @ the Fake News Esquire .....

Who reads that nonsense?

The Fake News Sheeple ..... who have to believe Chicken Little ....

Gonna be a hard next 5 years for those folks.