Trump's trade war and farmers

Sep 2014
South FL
Wow. You actually truly believe that China is going to "buckle" on this!
Then prepare to decouple because China has no intention of adhering to any agreement anyway.

Start acting on presumption they are a bad faith actor.

Jan 2016
Colorado
At the 2016 election Trump and HRC opposed TPP.
I'm well aware of that. I deemed it a craven and thoroughly political decision by Hillary Clinton, who really knows better. Of course, her political judgment may have been quite accurate: had she continued to be a supporter of the TPP, it is quite possible that she would have lost the election by a larger amount. The American PUBLIC has a very poor understanding of international economics. We do NOT teach it in our schools. People don't really learn about it unless they decide to major in economics in college.

The American public understands international trade at about the same level they understand quantum mechanics.

Just sayin'.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Then prepare to decouple because China has no intention of adhering to any agreement anyway.

Start acting on presumption they are a bad faith actor.
In fact, I DO pretty much hold that presumption! We are certainly NOT going to dissuade China from its overarching goal of becoming the world leader in science and technology in the next decade or so. They are NOT going to 'buckle' on that, which they see as vital to China's future. I am pointing out that they have also decided Donald Trump is a "bad faith actor": give him an inch, and he wants a mile.

So yes, I expect NO agreement in the next 15 months, and the heightened trade war and now currency war may very well plunge the global economy back into recession. The rest of the world will not be happy with either Trump or the Chinese if that happens. Which may be more than a mild understatement.

Trump may very well be undermining his own chances for re-election. Which I find very ironic. Karma. That's what they call it, in the Far East.

May 2012
By the wall
Fixing it?!?!? He's making it WORSE!!

I mean, you DO know that, right? I HOPE you are aware that America's trade deficit today is the highest it has been in more than ten years. I HOPE you are aware that Trump's trade deficits are WORSE than anything we saw during the entire eight years of the Obama Administration.

I've explained before why and how Trump's policies are necessarily going to make the trade deficit worse. And it is because he fundamentally does NOT understand what is CAUSING America's enormous trade deficit. He has completely, in other words, misdiagnosed the problem. He wants to blame foreigners for our trade deficits, which is an easy and popular thing to do------gets votes!

But America's trade deficit is clearly stamped: Made in America!
And when you get a cure for cancer you often get worse before you get better don't you?

This isn't rocket science here.

You are a typical liberal, unwilling to do the hard work or give the sacrifice for a better life, you just want it all handed to you.

You disgust me.

May 2012
By the wall
Wow. You actually truly believe that China is going to "buckle" on this! That's amazing! I mean, that's an amazing level of naivety and gullibility. We are getting increasing signals from China that they are simply done trying to negotiate with Donald Trump, whom they have come to regard as an unreliable negotiating partner. [Shock! Gasp!] China thinks in the long term, unlike most Americans, and they have decided (many observers now think) to simply wait out the 2020 American election, and hope that America chooses a more reasonable and rational President.

Hey, has IRAN 'buckled' yet?
China is suffering far worse than us and are already starting to buckle.

Why do you want to give up so easily?

You just admitted there was an unfair trade imbalance with them but you are too afraid to stand up to them about it.

You would have been a loyalist in the Revolutionary war, put on a ship and sent back to England for your safety while us patriots fought.

Jan 2016
Colorado
And when you get a cure for cancer you often get worse before you get better don't you?

This isn't rocket science here.

You are a typical liberal, unwilling to do the hard work or give the sacrifice for a better life, you just want it all handed to you.

You disgust me.
I rather strongly suspect that you would flunk rocket science. NASA once gave me a T-Shirt with the big slogan:

As a matter of fact, I AM a rocket scientist.

That was after working for them over a summer helping to calculate asteroid orbits, way back in the early 1970's, when we were still using slide rules, because scientific calculators had only JUST come out, and tended to cost more than $500. [You can get the things for $5 at any Walmart or Target today, one of the wonders of technology-----Einstein would have probably given up his right arm to have a scientific calculator. Even more so if he could get his hands, heh, on a graphing calculator.]

You would probably not do well in rocket science, and you're certainly flunking economics, because the trade deficit is NOT going to "get better" with our current policies. Unless you plan to somehow forcibly STOP Americans from buying imported goods. That would seem to be quite a blow against consumer freedom.

Why do you hate consumer freedom? Why do you hate America?

Jan 2016
Colorado
China is suffering far worse than us and are already starting to buckle.

Why do you want to give up so easily?

You just admitted there was an unfair trade imbalance with them but you are too afraid to stand up to them about it.

You would have been a loyalist in the Revolutionary war, put on a ship and sent back to England for your safety while us patriots fought.
I have said (and readily agree) that the Chinese use unfair trading practices. That is NOT the same as saying the trade imbalance is unfair. The way to 'stand up to them', as I have repeatedly explained, would have been for America to join the anti-China trade agreement known as the Trans-Pacific Partnership. Doing so would have put IMMENSE pressure on China to change its ways, and to stop many or most of its unfair trading practices.

Alas, your clueless President Trump dumped it on his first day in office, no less. And they were popping the champagne corks in Beijing when he did that.

May 2012
By the wall
Fuck that liberal world government bullshit.

Take them to task straight on, take the lumps, and win in the end.

Quit being such a....well you know the word.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Fuck that liberal world government bullshit.

Take them to task straight on, take the lumps, and win in the end.

Quit being such a....well you know the word.
Laughable. Our ALLIES have many of the exact same complaints about the Chinese that we have. Quite sensibly, Obama was working WITH our allies to put very strong pressure on the Chinese to alter their ways. In sharp contrast, Donald Trump has been waging trade wars against our ALLIES, almost as much as the Chinese.

Once again, we see that in your worldview, America simply doesn't NEED any allies, and can make our way in the world all alone.

Your views amount to an almost Paleolithic isolationism.

Reactions: the bull59