Tucker Carlson: Why Shouldn't I Root For Russia?"

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
"On his Monday night show, Fox News host Tucker Carlson made a comment that was shocking even by his standards. He said he’s rooting for Russia to prevail in its armed conflict with Ukraine’s fledging democracy — a conflict that began when Russia illegally invaded its neighbor years ago and continues to this day.

During a segment about impeachment with former Hillary Clinton adviser Richard Goodstein, Carlson questioned why Americans should even care that President Donald Trump used hundreds of millions of dollars of military aid to leverage Ukraine into investigating his political rivals in the first place. Goodstein responded by noting that “people are dying on the front lines” there. (More than 13,000 people have died as a result of the conflict so far.)

The US government hasn’t always thought that providing military aid to Ukraine is the smartest way to maintain stability in Eastern Europe. But even Republicans who don’t think Trump should be impeached for using it as leverage for political favors generally believe that deterring Russian aggression and protecting democracy in Eastern Europe is important. Carlson, however, went on to express a view that in a previous era would have been far outside the foreign policy mainstream, but accords with the type of nihilism he’s played a leading role in promoting during the Trump era.

“Why do I care what is going on in the conflict between Ukraine and Russia?!” Carlson said. “And I’m serious. Why do I care? Why shouldn’t I root for Russia? Which I am.”

*Skip*"

The logical conclusion of Trump's politics: nihilism.

Your thoughts?

Reactions: The Man

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
"On his Monday night show, Fox News host Tucker Carlson made a comment that was shocking even by his standards. He said he’s rooting for Russia to prevail in its armed conflict with Ukraine’s fledging democracy — a conflict that began when Russia illegally invaded its neighbor years ago and continues to this day.

During a segment about impeachment with former Hillary Clinton adviser Richard Goodstein, Carlson questioned why Americans should even care that President Donald Trump used hundreds of millions of dollars of military aid to leverage Ukraine into investigating his political rivals in the first place. Goodstein responded by noting that “people are dying on the front lines” there. (More than 13,000 people have died as a result of the conflict so far.)

The US government hasn’t always thought that providing military aid to Ukraine is the smartest way to maintain stability in Eastern Europe. But even Republicans who don’t think Trump should be impeached for using it as leverage for political favors generally believe that deterring Russian aggression and protecting democracy in Eastern Europe is important. Carlson, however, went on to express a view that in a previous era would have been far outside the foreign policy mainstream, but accords with the type of nihilism he’s played a leading role in promoting during the Trump era.

“Why do I care what is going on in the conflict between Ukraine and Russia?!” Carlson said. “And I’m serious. Why do I care? Why shouldn’t I root for Russia? Which I am.”

*Skip*"

Your thoughts?
I think his books should be checked to see who's funding this sort of thing. But that's probably illegal, so instead I'd suggest folks decide if they are for America or if they are for Russia and then vote with their patronage.

Nov 2016
USA
That still blows my mind, having grown up in the grip of the Cold War.

As have most Congressional Republicans.
Indeed. I remember Khrushchev declaring that they would “bury” us, and without even having to fire a shot. Never did I imagine how prophetic that was, and that it would be our own POTUS who would be complicit in helping the Russians damage our country and government so much.

Aug 2018
Vancouver

*Skip*"

Your thoughts?
Nihlism?

Nihilism would be saying "who cares" ? He's not saying that. "Why shouldn't I choose for Russia? Which I am" .

If he really said that thats not nihilism. That's ACTIVELY supporting a dictator who jails or murders any political opponents who dare criticise him.

That's not nihilism. It's evil.

Pure evil.

Oct 2014
British expat in USA
Even without the statement that he's rooting for Russia, he's embodying the "ugly American" caricature of someone who doesn't care about anything beyond the borders of this country, even if Americans are causing the problems that people in other countries are enduring.