Turkey Hunters

Dec 2018
Florida
Any other turkey hunters out there? I’m hungry and I’ve not gotten one yet. I’m not huntin as hard as I’d like, but I’ve narrowed down a gobbler and also had a hen in my area. I’ve been huntin public land. Anyone else got any stories for the season? I will share my opening day.

Got out to a public land WMA with a relative. We didn’t get our spot, but we went where there was nobody. It was a foggy day. It was this nice clear cut and hurricane damaged field. This hen walked right by us and then a gobbler followed about 15 minutes later. The SOB was 40 steps from me. Nice big beard. But I was using a muzzleloader (rule of the place). I couldn’t pull the trigger. It was just a hair too far.

Apr 2015
Katmandu
Any other turkey hunters out there? I’m hungry and I’ve not gotten one yet. I’m not huntin as hard as I’d like, but I’ve narrowed down a gobbler and also had a hen in my area. I’ve been huntin public land. Anyone else got any stories for the season? I will share my opening day.

Got out to a public land WMA with a relative. We didn’t get our spot, but we went where there was nobody. It was a foggy day. It was this nice clear cut and hurricane damaged field. This hen walked right by us and then a gobbler followed about 15 minutes later. The SOB was 40 steps from me. Nice big beard. But I was using a muzzleloader (rule of the place). I couldn’t pull the trigger. It was just a hair too far.
Muzzle-loading shotgun?

Mar 2015
Istanbul NOT Constantinople...

Go when you haven't eaten. seriously, you will hunt better if you are fasting. you'll have more energy and you will be mentally sharper....and more motivated.

Dec 2018
Florida
Once upon a time, we were in the woods and I had MZloader (a replica of the Lincoln gun) and a turkey was in a pasture maybe 200 yards off. I aimed about a turkey length high. The ball kicked up the dirt inches away, turkey did not even flinch.
I don’t use rifles (not allowed on public land anyway) on turkey. :) I’ve not got to the point where I’d like to use a bow, but a muzzleloader is just fine for me.