Turkey launches Syrian air strikes

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Turkish warplanes have bombed parts of north-eastern Syria at the start of an offensive which could lead to conflict with Kurdish-led allies of the US.

Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the operation was to create a "safe zone" cleared of Kurdish militias which will also house Syrian refugees.

According to the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), civilian areas came under attack from Turkish planes. Turkish ground forces have also been massing on the border.

Reactions: The Man
Jul 2019
Atlanta
Turkish warplanes have bombed parts of north-eastern Syria at the start of an offensive which could lead to conflict with Kurdish-led allies of the US.

Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the operation was to create a "safe zone" cleared of Kurdish militias which will also house Syrian refugees.

According to the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), civilian areas came under attack from Turkish planes. Turkish ground forces have also been massing on the border.

1570633043513.png

May 2016
california
Kurds are allowed to live in Turkey i think but not allowed to speak (or otherwise promote) Kurdic. The Kurds desire of establishing their own country might take parts of Turkey with it so Turkey views them with some hostility.

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
Let me see if I have all of this right: The US has been fighting ISIS alongside the Kurds, whom the Turks, US allies, have labeled a "terrorist group."

Trump has decided to declare victory and go home, much as Nixon did in '73. Now our allies, the Turks, are bombing our other allies, the Kurds.

The Russians are fighting for the Syrian government that the US opposes. ISIS, who we're fighting, also opposes the Syrian regime, which is headed by a dictator who is at least as corrupt and cruel as ISIS.

What is going to happen now, I wonder?

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Kurds are allowed to live in Turkey i think but not allowed to speak (or otherwise promote) Kurdic. The Kurds desire of establishing their own country might take parts of Turkey with it so Turkey views them with some hostility.
Seriously, that's justification to bomb them? These people have done nothing to harm us, they have been loyal allies, and we can't spare 50 soldiers to keep them from being genocided?

Jesus fucking Christ.

Jul 2019
Atlanta
Let me see if I have all of this right: The US has been fighting ISIS alongside the Kurds, whom the Turks, US allies, have labeled a "terrorist group."

Trump has decided to declare victory and go home, much as Nixon did in '73. Now our allies, the Turks, are bombing our other allies, the Kurds.

The Russians are fighting for the Syrian government that the US opposes. ISIS, who we're fighting, also opposes the Syrian regime, which is headed by a dictator who is at least as corrupt and cruel as ISIS.

What is going to happen now, I wonder?

Everybody pays except Bashar Assad who wants funds to rebuild Syria.

May 2016
california
Seriously, that's justification to bomb them? These people have done nothing to harm us, they have been loyal allies, and we can't spare 50 soldiers to keep them from being genocided?

Jesus fucking Christ.
If Turks are bombing them because they see them as a threat, What should the US do as a NATO ally of Turkey?