Twitter is Weird

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
I didn't see a technology section so I put it here. Mods feel free to move if improperly placed.

I and a friend of mine follow and are followed by many of the same people. We are in a band together so the usual follows are from fans and a few accounts we follow independently.

But if we look at each other's timelines, there are very drastic differences:

1. No 2 timelines are the same - even if we look at the time stamps, which do line up, my friend sees far more "tweets" than I do.
2. Some tweets won't show - I can post a tweet and my friend will not see it - but many (not all) of our followers do see them.
3. My friend tweeted a band photo - even though I can go to his page directly, this tweet does not show for me, whatsoever.

This is strange. This is a problem.

So while Twitter may show you a bunch of content, there is likely content you will not see - for some certain reason. I'll keep posting as I experiment with the platform but one thing is for certain:

Twitter is controlling what is viewable and what is not - and I'm not talking about conservatives or far-right. This is just straight up editing.

May 2012
By the wall
Twitter is a wing of the democratic party just like Facebook.

I would close your account yesterday and move on.

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Somewhere below 14th and East.
I didn't see a technology section so I put it here. Mods feel free to move if improperly placed.

I and a friend of mine follow and are followed by many of the same people. We are in a band together so the usual follows are from fans and a few accounts we follow independently.

1. No 2 timelines are the same - even if we look at the time stamps, which do line up, my friend sees far more "tweets" than I do.
2. Some tweets won't show - I can post a tweet and my friend will not see it - but many (not all) of our followers do see them.
3. My friend tweeted a band photo - even though I can go to his page directly, this tweet does not show for me, whatsoever.

So while Twitter may show you a bunch of content, there is likely content you will not see - for some certain reason. I'll keep posting as I experiment with the platform but one thing is for certain:

Twitter is controlling what is viewable and what is not - and I'm not talking about conservatives or far-right. This is just straight up editing.

And some fucking morons here actually use it as a "news source"... lol

Reactions: johnflesh
May 2019
midwest
And some fucking morons here actually use it as a "news source"... lol
For example.
:cool:

Donald J. TrumpVerified account @realDonaldTrump 2h

If Democrats want to unite around the foul language & racist hatred spewed from the mouths and actions of these very unpopular & unrepresentative Congresswomen, it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I can tell you that they have made Israel feel abandoned by the U.S.

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Somewhere below 14th and East.
For example.
:cool:

Donald J. TrumpVerified account @realDonaldTrump 2h

If Democrats want to unite around the foul language & racist hatred spewed from the mouths and actions of these very unpopular & unrepresentative Congresswomen, it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I can tell you that they have made Israel feel abandoned by the U.S.

What was wrong with that? Why does this upset you?

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic

I'm a little confused when you say it's not viewable. What happens when you click the direct link to the tweet? A 404?

Editing also makes it sound a lot more conscious than what's going on. I know from previous comments that seem to think algorithmic filtering is magic and can accomplish exactly what the designer intends, but clearly it's not. Who knows what conditions are leading to that photo not showing on your feed?

Is this a problem? I don't know, but I don't understand why people use Twitter. I find it very hard to get upset about their algorithms or content policies