Twitter purge

Sep 2012
SoCal
"Conservatives" seem to be quite fond of the Russian bots...

Trump supporters, conservatives rage over Russian bot purge #twitterlockout

Conservative Twitter users raged against the social media company, lobbing accusations of left-wing bias and censorship after thousands of followers were wiped out in an overnight bot purge.

The suspension of multiple accounts followed the indictment by special counsel Robert S. Mueller of Russian nationals for meddling in the U.S. election, including using fake accounts on Twitter to conduct "information warfare" against the United States.

Bots — accounts powered by automated software, not people — have plagued Twitter for years. Researchers estimate as many as 15% of accounts on Twitter could be fake. Twitter says that number is lower.

[...]

Fake accounts on Twitter have been traced to a Kremlin-linked "troll farm" accused of inflaming political divisions on hot-button national issues such as gun control after last week's Florida school shooting. According to researchers at the University of Southern California, conservatives retweeted Russian trolls about 31 times more than liberals and produced 36 times more tweets.

An organization that tracks Kremlin-backed Twitter accounts — the Alliance for Securing Democracy — says such influence operations have remained active since the election, serving to amplify disputes bubbling on the Web. On Wednesday, #twitterlockout and #twitterpurge were the top and trending hashtags used by the accounts linked to Russian influence operations tracked by the Alliance's Hamilton 68 project.

In hearings last year, U.S. lawmakers criticized Twitter for not taking the Russian bot scourge seriously enough.

The overnight Twitter purge took some conservative users by surprise. A few complained they were temporarily locked out of their accounts because of "unusual activity" and "automated behavior" and had to share a phone number with Twitter to regain access.

Twitter said it asks account holders who may be in violation of its terms of service to provide a phone number "so we can confirm a human is behind it."

...MORE...

Reactions: 2 people
Sep 2011
aMEEErica
"Conservatives" seem to be quite fond of the Russian bots...

Trump supporters, conservatives rage over Russian bot purge #twitterlockout
First.. yes, of course so many GOP are outraged to see their comrades go, no surprise there.

Next, I'm not a member of twitter, have never even visited the site, and I'm not crazy about facebook either, but don't these sites have that "anti-robot" "prove you are not a robot" section like so many other sites?

I suggest, that "until we get this figured out" (like Trump suggested with the visa program) they need to ban political ads.

Thx :popcorn:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Trump got up this morning and only had 14 followers after the purge*.

*I can not claim credit for that, I read it elsewhere.
LOL, I was just coming back in to ask how many followers Trump will end up with after this, I owe you a Coke. :D

Thx :untroubled:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person