Two separate elementary schools; two VE classes; two completely different results.

Feb 2019
Florida
This isn't intended to be at all political and I invite opinions from all sides of the spectrum. I won't mention the names of any schools, but here was my work this week:

Elementary school A. VE class. (Stands for Very Exceptional) Eight kids in the classroom total. There is a para-teacher there. Very difficult to keep this kids organized, due to their low IQ levels. (And NO I'm not going to make any cracks about "kinda like Democrats" or "Kinda like Trump supporters." I'm giving you a break from that. The Para tells me their average IQ is below 75. Grade levels are 3 through 5. One girl is in the fourth grade and she has a kindergarten achievement level. I'm not making this up when I say that she is unable to count to 20, (and every day there is work put in front of her that is designed to help her.) I asked the Para why these knuckleheads were socially promoted. He said if they weren't, kindergarten would be swamped and couldn't handle it. The one girl in 4th grade who couldn't count, I asked "how did this girl get to the 4th grade?" He looked at me and said, "what else are they going to do with her?"
(Your opinions on social promotion are certainly welcome here. So far, I'm not rendering any. I'm just showing you what I saw the last couple of days.)

Elementary school B. VE class. I was expecting the same group of knuckleheads (except that this was a unique elementary school, located in a predominately minority neighborhood.) Very large class. I go in and discover I will be by myself for the morning. On the board is a bunch of complicated math equations. The morning group would be fourth grade. I saw the lesson plan, which was three pages long. It was very detailed. The kids came in. They were rowdy as usual, (and I promise you that ALL elementary school kids try to test the sub, regardless of what part of the country you're in.) But I got them to settle down. I noticed there were more black kids in the class than whites. And I noticed that they ALL got their work done without a lot of headaches. They were dressed kinda classy. No gang colors, no hip hop gear, no hoodies.

The fifth grade block came in after lunch. The lesson plan warned me that they were especially disrespectful. (I was ready with the office phone, ready to send the first troublemaker downstairs. I was told just write a note and kick the kid down the hall, so to speak.) They came in and some of them recognized me from other schools. Then Mrs. XXXX from the office came in with a small stack of papers. She would be the monitor for the class. The kids saw her. They settled down and shut the hell up. One of them would get a little antsy and Mrs. XXXX would glare at them and say "excuse me" and the attitude vaporized.

That class was almost like the college classes I taught up in Orlando. Polite, raising their hands to talk, probably the best fifth grade class I've ever seen in the county. Yet, they were VE. Mrs. XXXX explained to me later on that different schools have different criteria for VE. These students just happened to fall below a certain percentile in the IQ department.

What made Elementary School B so different? (Now is where you might get a little politics thrown in.) B's leadership (and don't kid yourself, EVERY school is the product of the principal and the staff he hires) is about as hardass as it comes. They don't put up with ANY bullshit whatsoever, from the kids or the parents. These kids definitely come from a poorer section of town. Most of them are minorities. B's leadership doesn't give a shit. These kids will behave and they will get the best education possible. They will enter middle school fully prepared to work.

Feb 2019
Florida
Oh, by the way: I didn't see ANY Common Core textbooks in this classroom. The teacher was along the lines of math and science. No Common Core. Now I've seen Common Core textbooks in other elementary schools but not this one.

Is Common Core as evil as some conservative politicians say? There are Common Core textbooks in every subject. Here's an example of Common Core math. I've actually seen this explained in a classroom. Judge for yourself:

Jul 2016
Florida
You just exposed yourself.
If you really were a teacher you'd know DeSantis has removed Common Core from Florida schools.

Feb 2019
Florida
You just exposed yourself.
If you really were a teacher you'd know DeSantis has removed Common Core from Florida schools.
First of all, if you bothered to read that post, you would see that I am not a real teacher. I am a SUBSTITUTE teacher. I move from school to school, depending on availability.

Secondly, It doesn't work like that. DeSantis only signed an Executive Order. It still has to go through the legislature. There are still Common Core methods out there. And whatever replacements are made will cost a fortune, because textbooks at every school have to be replaced. And again, a lot of those decisions are made at the county level, and are in the hands of the School Board. Also, like I said, the individual schools are mostly the product of the culture of the Principal and his staff.

In school B, the textbooks I saw were well worn. They obviously hadn't arrived since the election. And last week, I've seen Common Core materials at different schools. It's still here.

Jul 2016
Florida
First of all, if you bothered to read that post, you would see that I am not a real teacher. I am a SUBSTITUTE teacher. I move from school to school, depending on availability.

Secondly, It doesn't work like that. DeSantis only signed an Executive Order. It still has to go through the legislature. There are still Common Core methods out there. And whatever replacements are made will cost a fortune, because textbooks at every school have to be replaced. And again, a lot of those decisions are made at the county level, and are in the hands of the School Board. Also, like I said, the individual schools are mostly the product of the culture of the Principal and his staff.

In school B, the textbooks I saw were well worn. They obviously hadn't arrived since the election. And last week, I've seen Common Core materials at different schools. It's still here.
Are you telling me you're driving well over two hundred miles a day to be a substitute teacher?

lol

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Oh, by the way: I didn't see ANY Common Core textbooks in this classroom. The teacher was along the lines of math and science. No Common Core. Now I've seen Common Core textbooks in other elementary schools but not this one.

Is Common Core as evil as some conservative politicians say? There are Common Core textbooks in every subject. Here's an example of Common Core math. I've actually seen this explained in a classroom. Judge for yourself:
Oh, not this bullshit again. Let me haul out big guns ...

All the memes you've seen, all the weird math worksheets you've read, all the YouTube videos you've watched - those aren't Common Core. If you want to state that you don't like something about Common Core, then cite it from here.

Got that? It's a link to the actual standards. Two orange buttons on the right; one for English/Arts/Literacy, and the other for Math. This isn't a "piece" of Common Core. It's the whole fucking enchilada, with chips and salsa. It's all there; every last bit, unabridged.

If you can find ANYTHING in those pages that supports your objections to Common Core, then cite it specifically - every section is neatly indexed.

You may cry "But where are all the weird math problems I saw on Facebook?" They're not there. Because it's not a part of Common Core.

Now, it's very possible that private companies may be producing these worksheets, and slapping a "Common Core Compliant" sticker on the package. But that's not the fault of Common Core. Go to the actual site. Read the actual content of Common Core. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to teach math in non-conventional ways. Unless, of course, it's the decision of the local school district - but you cannot fault Common Core for that.

Once more - here is the goddamn link. If you want to complain about Common Core, keep your stupid videos - and cite the actual text.

Feb 2019
Florida
Are you telling me you're driving well over two hundred miles a day to be a substitute teacher?

lol
I don't know what would have given you that impression. In this county (which is not for publication here), the schools are at best about 5 to 10 miles apart. The furthest school from my house (that I'll make the drive for) is around 20 miles.

Feb 2019
Florida
Oh, not this bullshit again. Let me haul out big guns ...

Freely translated, "my opinion matters, not yours, wahh wahhh wahh!!!!!"

All the memes you've seen, all the weird math worksheets you've read, all the YouTube videos you've watched - those aren't Common Core. If you want to state that you don't like something about Common Core, then cite it from here.

I chose the video that resembles the Common Core method I actually had to show a third grade class.

Got that? It's a link to the actual standards. Two orange buttons on the right; one for English/Arts/Literacy, and the other for Math. This isn't a "piece" of Common Core. It's the whole fucking enchilada, with chips and salsa. It's all there; every last bit, unabridged.

I just know what we have to deal with in the field. Maybe you can sit on your fat ass and troll the internet looking for some "I AGREE WITH YOU.COM" hack site, but in the real world we see what is in the textbooks.

If you can find ANYTHING in those pages that supports your objections to Common Core, then cite it specifically - every section is neatly indexed.

I don't need it. I live in the real world. I have had to deal with the real Common Core, not some hack's opinon of it.

You may cry "But where are all the weird math problems I saw on Facebook?" They're not there. Because it's not a part of Common Core.

The elementary schools I subbed at that use Common Core in the math department do not teach from facebook. They teach from the textbook. What I posted from YouTube is as close to real as it gets.

Now, it's very possible that private companies may be producing these worksheets, and slapping a "Common Core Compliant" sticker on the package. But that's not the fault of Common Core. Go to the actual site. Read the actual content of Common Core. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to teach math in non-conventional ways. Unless, of course, it's the decision of the local school district - but you cannot fault Common Core for that.

No need. I live and work in the real world.

Once more - here is the goddamn link. If you want to complain about Common Core, keep your stupid videos - and cite the actual text.

Actually pretty much ever teacher involved with trying to make heads or tails out of Common Core are complaining. I don't complain as much as they do because I'm not stuck with it. I can move on to ESE classes, or middle school or high school gym classes and never see this. My experience basically comes from the one particular elementary school where we had to make heads or tails out of this knucklehead method.

The thing about my career as a sub that is an advantage is the fact that I can often see results of Common Core instruction when I cover for 6th grade classes at middle schools. Two days in a row at one middle school, I was left with classes where two thirds did not know how to do standard long division. They were taught some fucked up Common Core way and it just didn't tick with them.

That's my experience. I only produce facts. I'm not the one trying to turn Common Core into a political issue because in the real world (at least in my neck of the woods) each school is almost a separate country. There are some schools where the phrase Common Core does not appear in ANY textbooks.

Jul 2016
Florida
I don't know what would have given you that impression. In this county (which is not for publication here), the schools are at best about 5 to 10 miles apart. The furthest school from my house (that I'll make the drive for) is around 20 miles.
Umm..you said you live in Arcadia Fl and taught in Orlando. On this forum. That's 120 miles one way.

Reactions: Friday13