TX considers DEATH PENALTY for women who get abortions.

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
You are correct as the stats bear out; when it comes to one's own daughter, Pro-Life Conservatives consider, and sometimes use, the abortion option. In the case of the Louisiana Deputy's racist Black Church-burning son, retroactive abortion should be an option. :)

Look at and understand the numbers. I didn't post it, but liberal states have a higher number of abortions than conservative states. While those numbers might be slightly skewed by conservatives transiting to those liberal states, the facts as posted point out groups that are heavily liberal.

Why are you pushing this? Just to prove that some conservatives have abortions? Agreed, they do. Just to prove that they are hypocrites? That's a matter of record, but so are liberals. So why do you feel compelled to push back on my conclusions?

To show that the idea that "liberals," not defined, aren't necessarily more likely to actually abort pregnancies than "conservatives," also not defined, are. The adamantly pro lifers are, by and large, authoritarians who want to have draconian punishments for other people who opt to have abortions. They call themselves "conservatives" while wanting the government, not the woman involved, to make the difficult decision to bear a child or to abort a pregnancy. That is neither a "conservative" or a "liberal" point of view. It is an authoritarian point of view.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
To show that the idea that "liberals," not defined, aren't necessarily more likely to actually abort pregnancies than "conservatives," also not defined, are. The adamantly pro lifers are, by and large, authoritarians who want to have draconian punishments for other people who opt to have abortions. They call themselves "conservatives" while wanting the government, not the woman involved, to make the difficult decision to bear a child or to abort a pregnancy. That is neither a "conservative" or a "liberal" point of view. It is an authoritarian point of view.
You mean it depends upon what the meaning of "is" is? Most people know that "liberals" are those who support the ideals and/or agenda of the Democrats. Likewise "conservatives" would be those who support the ideals and/or agenda of the Republicans. Does that work for you or would you prefer to subdivide it into 53 or 57 subcategories?

Feb 2011
You mean it depends upon what the meaning of "is" is? Most people know that "liberals" are those who support the ideals and/or agenda of the Democrats. Likewise "conservatives" would be those who support the ideals and/or agenda of the Republicans. Does that work for you or would you prefer to subdivide it into 53 or 57 subcategories?
No, it depends on what the definition of "liberal" and the definition of "conservative" are. If you want to define it as party affiliation, then that's one way to do it. There are many other definitions, sometimes more than one in a single post. There is no generally agreed upon definition of either term.

I for one,don't consider modern day Republicans to be especially conservative according to the dictionary definition of the term.

Now, are you going to maintain that, since Democrats are more likely to be pro choice than Republicans, that their stance will result in fewer Democrats? Are the aborted fetuses Democrats then?

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
No, it depends on what the definition of "liberal" and the definition of "conservative" are. If you want to define it as party affiliation, then that's one way to do it. There are many other definitions, sometimes more than one in a single post. There is no generally agreed upon definition of either term.

I for one,don't consider modern day Republicans to be especially conservative according to the dictionary definition of the term.

Now, are you going to maintain that, since Democrats are more likely to be pro choice than Republicans, that their stance will result in fewer Democrats? Are the aborted fetuses Democrats then?
Ahhh, so it is 53 or 57 subcategories. Got it. :D

Odds are, liberal and conservative parents live in communities that lean liberal or conservative and thus will raise children who lean liberal or conservative. It's also true most young people are more liberal than their parents and most older people are more conservative than their 30something children. We can also factor in the truism that people are more likely to pass laws that only adversely affect others than laws that adversely affect themselves.

Feb 2011
Ahhh, so it is 53 or 57 subcategories. Got it. :D

Odds are, liberal and conservative parents live in communities that lean liberal or conservative and thus will raise children who lean liberal or conservative. It's also true most young people are more liberal than their parents and most older people are more conservative than their 30something children. We can also factor in the truism that people are more likely to pass laws that only adversely affect others than laws that adversely affect themselves.
You say: "liberal and conservative parents live in communities that lean liberal or conservative and thus will raise children who lean liberal or conservative."

and then: "most young people are more liberal than their parents."

So, it looks like "conservative" parents aren't doing a great job of indoctrinating their children.

If that's so, then it won't matter about all of those Democrat fetuses being aborted, as the Republican fetuses will still grow up to be Democrats.

(Yes, I know, that's bit facetious, but it does follow logically from your comments)

But you're right on target that "people are more likely to pass laws that only adversely affect others than laws that adversely affect themselves."

Which explains why "conservatives," read "Republicans," are more likely to be pro life. They know that, should a family member need an abortion, they can go to where the Democrats prevail and get one.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
You say: "liberal and conservative parents live in communities that lean liberal or conservative and thus will raise children who lean liberal or conservative."

and then: "most young people are more liberal than their parents."

So, it looks like "conservative" parents aren't doing a great job of indoctrinating their children.

If that's so, then it won't matter about all of those Democrat fetuses being aborted, as the Republican fetuses will still grow up to be Democrats.

(Yes, I know, that's bit facetious, but it does follow logically from your comments)

But you're right on target that "people are more likely to pass laws that only adversely affect others than laws that adversely affect themselves."

Which explains why "conservatives," read "Republicans," are more likely to be pro life. They know that, should a family member need an abortion, they can go to where the Democrats prevail and get one.
So, in your opinion, kids in Texas are no different culturally than kids in Southern California. I disagree, but you are free to your beliefs.

Feb 2011
So, in your opinion, kids in Texas are no different culturally than kids in Southern California. I disagree, but you are free to your beliefs.
You're the one who said that the younger generation tended to be more liberal, and who defined the term to mean Democrat as opposed to Republican.

Therefore, a lot of Republican fetuses will turn out to be Democrats, according to your logic

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
You're the one who said that the younger generation tended to be more liberal, and who defined the term to mean Democrat as opposed to Republican.

Therefore, a lot of Republican fetuses will turn out to be Democrats, according to your logic
Do you disagree with that assertion?

I'm just going with the stats. You are free to disagree even though I'm curious why you are disagreeing. Why do you keep refusing to answer the question?

Feb 2011
Do you disagree with that assertion?

I'm just going with the stats. You are free to disagree even though I'm curious why you are disagreeing. Why do you keep refusing to answer the question?
I didn't disagree with your stats. I think you have them right.
You said that the younger generation is more liberal.
Therefore, conservative fetuses will grow up to be liberals, or at least some of them will.

So, even if more Democrat fetuses are aborted, which is highly questionable, then society will increasingly become more liberal/Democrat.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
I didn't disagree with your stats. I think you have them right.
You said that the younger generation is more liberal.
Therefore, conservative fetuses will grow up to be liberals, or at least some of them will.

So, even if more Democrat fetuses are aborted, which is highly questionable, then society will increasingly become more liberal/Democrat.
Yes, youth tends to be more liberal just as age tends to be more conservative. Is this new to you?

Yes, the children of conservative parents or those born into a conservative culture will be more liberal in their youth, but will grow more conservative with age. Again, is this new to you?

The stats and links bear out the fact more liberals/Democrats have abortions. Where do you draw that conclusion? Ahh, you forget people become more conservative with age. Confirmation bias: you only see what you want to see.

What's most amusing to me in this thread is that it's the Liberal pro-abortion crowd that is bucking the idea whereas the Conservative anti-abortion crowd is not. The bottom line here is that I support abortion and you and yours fighting me over it. LOL