U.S. Army: Omega-3 fatty acids may help prevent suicide

Aug 2010
See you in a new existence!
A very interesting development and a good line of research by the U.S. Army. I hope it works.:

Army studying benefits of omega-3 fatty acids - Army News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Army Times
The Army is eager to know whether omega-3 fatty acids not only are good for the heart, but might deter soldiers from killing themselves.

“I’m all over it, because I’m looking for something to help,” says Gen. Peter Chiarelli, the Army’s vice chief of staff, who has been working for years to reduce the service’s record number of suicides.

Research published in the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry last month showed that men in the service with low levels of an omega-3 fatty acid known as docosahexaenoic acid or DHA were 62 percent more likely to commit suicide. The researchers compared routine blood samples taken from 800 service members between 2002 and 2008 — and who months later committed suicide — with samples taken from 800 other troops.

The authors say their findings do not suggest fish oil is a way to deter suicides. The Army suicide rate reached 22 per 100,000 last year, higher than civilians of the same age group.
Of course the caveat here is that it may not be the fish oil which is preventing the suicides, but something in the mindset of soldiers who do take the fish oil, such as concern for personal health, which is the factor accounting for the difference in suicide rates.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Very interesting. I hope it works, too. Plus, we may learn even more about omega-3 fats.

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
I like that the Army is looking into the possible benefits of omega-3's but I'm skeptical, the only people I know who take omega-3's have a high opinion of their self-worth. It's difficult to get high levels of omega-3's without intentionally ingesting it as a supliment, people who are depressed are more likely (guessing) to be on a poor diet and not getting many at all.

Reactions: res

Seraphima

Former Staff
Aug 2010
This isn't really new research - it's just a new potential application of existing research on the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids in psychiatric disorders.

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10
A very interesting development and a good line of research by the U.S. Army. I hope it works.:

Army studying benefits of omega-3 fatty acids - Army News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Army Times

Of course the caveat here is that it may not be the fish oil which is preventing the suicides, but something in the mindset of soldiers who do take the fish oil, such as concern for personal health, which is the factor accounting for the difference in suicide rates.
I think your right. That said, fish oil does the body good.

Jun 2011
N/A
This isn't really new research - it's just a new potential application of existing research on the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids in psychiatric disorders.
Not just that: there are massive studies going on in Germany to link levels of Omega-3 vis-a-vis pregnancy.

Their findings:

proper levels of omg3 reduces early births, stillbirths and post-partum depression.

The brain of a child develops faster and german studies are showing that 4 year olds whose mother's were on an omega 3 plan show a huge jump in intelligence over other children.

The ingestion of omg3 actually helps the body to break open fat cells stored in the body and use that energy up.

Aug 2010
See you in a new existence!
Any examples? I haven't researched it except to know about the physical health benefits of Omega-3 supplements.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Not just that: there are massive studies going on in Germany to link levels of Omega-3 vis-a-vis pregnancy.

Their findings:

proper levels of omg3 reduces early births, stillbirths and post-partum depression.

The brain of a child develops faster and german studies are showing that 4 year olds whose mother's were on an omega 3 plan show a huge jump in intelligence over other children.

The ingestion of omg3 actually helps the body to break open fat cells stored in the body and use that energy up.
That's very interesting to know. Thank you.

Seraphima

Former Staff
Aug 2010
Any examples? I haven't researched it except to know about the physical health benefits of Omega-3 supplements.
Just check wikipedia - follow the links to the research; that'll be the easiest way to check it out without a membership to some of the medical research websites. In every Clinical Psych course I have taken it's been discussed, along with several other supplements.