U.S. destroyer challenges Russian claims in the Sea of Japan

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto

The USS McCampbell in Tokyo Bay on May 14.

The Navy sent a guided-missile destroyer into Russian-claimed waters in the Sea of Japan in what it called a "freedom of navigation" operation on Wednesday.

The operation comes as the United States and Russia are clashing over a variety of issues, including U.S. accusations that Russia has violated terms of the 1987 Intermediate Range Nuclear Forces Treaty, or INF, and U.S. complaints over recent Russian operations near Ukraine.

The Navy said in a statement that the USS McCampbell, an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer operating from U.S. Naval Base Yokosuka in Japan, sailed near Peter the Great Bay "to challenge Russia's excessive maritime claims and uphold the rights, freedoms and lawful uses of the sea enjoyed by the United States and other nations."

Under international maritime law, nations' territorial rights extend only 12 miles from shore. Peter the Great Bay stretches farther than that from parts of the Russian coast, but Moscow claims the entire bay as its own, anyway.

The Defense Department regularly conducts such "freedom of navigation" exercises, but it usually does so in the South China Sea in challenges to claims by China.

Just last week, the United States sent the USS Chancellorsville, a guided-missile cruiser, near the Paracel Islands in the South China Sea to similarly challenge China's "excessive maritime claims," the Navy said.
More: U.S. destroyer challenges Russian claims in the Sea of Japan

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
It's happened before, actually lol
1988 Black Sea bumping incident - Wikipedia

Don't underestimate how crazy they can get over there...
Looking at those little frigates, I think the USSR took an awful risk... even just the bump. I think if I were the skipper of the cruiser I'd have jettisoned its waste. Seems like a harmless way to encourage better spacing. :p

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Unleash Japan and let them handle the Russian navy the old school way :smirk:

Daaang that was a lopsided battle. I was checking out the last time Japan and Russia had a naval battle back in 1905.. Battle of Tsushima - Wikipedia

Casualties and losses

Japan
117 dead
583 injured
3 torpedo boats sunk
(450 tons sunk)

Russia
4,380 dead
5,917 captured
6 battleships sunk
1 coastal battleship sunk
14 other ships sunk
7 ships captured
6 ships disarmed
(126,792 tons sunk)

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Unleash Japan and let them handle the Russian navy the old school way :smirk:

Daaang that was a lopsided battle. I was checking out the last time Japan and Russia had a naval battle back in 1905.. Battle of Tsushima - Wikipedia

Casualties and losses

Japan
117 dead
583 injured
3 torpedo boats sunk
(450 tons sunk)

Russia
4,380 dead
5,917 captured
6 battleships sunk
1 coastal battleship sunk
14 other ships sunk
7 ships captured
6 ships disarmed
(126,792 tons sunk)
1905?

We can also talk 1939, dude. Khalkin Gol, Mongolia.

Where a Japanese army got steamrolled by Soviet tanks, if you want to go there
:D My grandpa was there. This is why they, Japan, never dared try to open a second front for Hitler... They saw it would a be a very different opponent they would face, than in 1905... ;) Above is a Japanese movie, of course haha Of course they make own guys out like some fucking Samurai lmao

Regardless, I doubt the Japanese would want another Hiroshima and Nagasaki on their ass, dude :)

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Meanwhile:

WASHINGTON: Rescue operations were underway on Thursday for five US marines missing after two American military aircraft crashed during a refuelling operation off the coast of Japan, the Japanese defence minister said.

One crew member has already been rescued and is thought to be in a stable condition, Takeshi Iwaya told reporters.

A spokesman for the Japanese Self-Defense (SDF) said another crew member had been found but there were no immediate details of the marine's condition.

"US military and the Japanese Self-Defense planes and vessels are searching for those still missing... I hope all the members will be rescued safely as soon as possible," Iwaya added.

The marines were conducting "regularly scheduled training" when the crash occurred around 2am local time, the 3rd Marine Expeditionary Force said in a statement.

The F/A-18 fighter jet with two crew onboard and a KC-130 refuelling tanker with five crew -- crashed into the sea around 100 kilometres (55 nautical miles) off the cape of Muroto in south-western Japan, Iwaya said.

The crew member rescued had been in the fighter jet, the minister confirmed.

Japan's SDF had deployed nine aircraft and three vessels for the search, he said. "We are thankful for the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force's efforts as they immediately responded in the search and rescue operation," the Marines said.

A spokesman for the Japanese coastguard said six vessels and an aircraft had been dispatched separately to assist in the rescue efforts.

There are few details about the circumstances of what the Marines described as a "mishap" and an investigation is underway.

During a normal KC-130 refuelling operation, the tanker aircraft trails a hose from the back of the plane with a so-called "drogue", shaped a bit like a windsock, at the end.

The fighter jet then inserts a probe inside the drogue to receive fuel, which it can do at a rate of up to 3,000 pounds per minute, according to a paper prepared for the US Congress.
More: 5 Marines Missing After 2 US Military Planes Crash Off Japan

Also: CNN: U.S. Making Plans To Sail Warship Into Black Sea