U.S. Is “Most Dangerous” Place in Developed World to Give Birth

Nov 2015
UK
It is sad and shameful. We're spending more per capita on health-care than any other nation and still receiving substandard medical care.
Actually, on the whole, the health care provided in the US is pretty good -

Removing the medical sector from the free enterprise system tends to reduce the overall quality of health care. Study-upon-study has shown the quality of health care is typically higher in the U.S. than in any other nation, including those with nationalized health insurance. The United States has lower breast and prostate cancer mortality rates than New Zealand, the United Kingdom, Germany, Canada, France and Australia.

https://www.thoughtco.com/should-us-adopt-nationalized-health-care-3321683

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
We've also experienced an unprecedented up-tick in suicides. Perhaps it's a quality of life issue?
Could be.Quality of life deteriorates when one is addicted, and addiction is more likely when the quality of life is low. It's a vicious circle. One thing for sure: We're a drug addled society.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Probably both from high blood pressure which is common during pregnancy. Towards the end of a pregnancy, BP is closely monitored due to preeclampsia.

https://www.webmd.com/baby/preeclampsia
I had that. My ob/gyn put me on bed rest at 4 months, which I did not follow. She told me it's probably caused by malnutrition in childhood.

If that's true, it's hard to blame these deaths on shabby birth care

Isn't it?

Dec 2013
Switzerland
I think location has a lot to do with the quality of care. Good doctors want to live in an area they like. You know what you call the person that graduates last in his class in medical school? "Doctor".
You should be more global…… The topic is why so many desaths inthe US in comparison to other developped countries…. There arecertainly verygod hospitals in many places in the US, but globally what is the outcome ?

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Actually, on the whole, the health care provided in the US is pretty good -

Removing the medical sector from the free enterprise system tends to reduce the overall quality of health care. Study-upon-study has shown the quality of health care is typically higher in the U.S. than in any other nation, including those with nationalized health insurance. The United States has lower breast and prostate cancer mortality rates than New Zealand, the United Kingdom, Germany, Canada, France and Australia.

https://www.thoughtco.com/should-us-adopt-nationalized-health-care-3321683
This is patent nonsense.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
You should be more global…… The topic is why so many desaths inthe US in comparison to other developped countries…. There arecertainly verygod hospitals in many places in the US, but globally what is the outcome ?
How would it help us improve outcomes if we compare to nations where mothers are forced to cope with actual starvation, etc., during their pregnancies?

Reactions: 1 person

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
I had that. My ob/gyn put me on bed rest at 4 months, which I did not follow. She told me it's probably caused by malnutrition in childhood.

If that's true, it's hard to blame these deaths on shabby birth care

Isn't it?
It is not shabby care...and your case is an example of what most patients do. I am guilty of not following Doctors advice myself. :) From my observation, the US has a lot of talent, great palatial facilities and the only problem is access...mostly due to expense and poor insurance benefits. Patients are either under-insured, not insured or have out of pocket expenses that they can't afford, such as obscene deductibles resulting from the ACA. Medicaid and Medicare is the best product around these days and most are not eligible for it.

Reactions: 1 person
Jun 2014
United States
Could be.Quality of life deteriorates when one is addicted, and addiction is more likely when the quality of life is low. It's a vicious circle. One thing for sure: We're a drug addled society.

That assumes that all of these suicides are related to opioid addiction. I've seen no evidence to support that assumption.

Dec 2013
Switzerland
How would it help us improve outcomes if we compare to nations where mothers are forced to cope with actual starvation, etc., during their pregnancies?
The comparison was with other developped countries…… and not Third World ones…. As far as public health is concerned the US, although spending more get poorer resutls. Why ?

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
That assumes that all of these suicides are related to opioid addiction. I've seen no evidence to support that assumption.
Could be, but if it's a quality of life issue, then it's related to drug abuse. Drug abuse can be both a cause and an effect of low quality of life.