U.S. Is “Most Dangerous” Place in Developed World to Give Birth

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I think the article is only sharing the numbers, there are causal factors that maybe other developed Nations are not experiencing. Working heavily on the patient side of healthcare, it is a combination of human failure...access to healthcare being number one...whether facilities are not available or the Mother does not seek access/care. In 20 years, I have not witnessed the death of a Mother delivering a child and I have always worked for the "poor kids on the block" facilities. As far as opioid addiction, we are definitely seeing a uptick from 20 years ago. It used to be few and rehab beds were always open for them..today, there is a waiting list months long and the ER's are flooded with overdoses.
We also have an enormous lack of OB/GYNs nationally. Its very hard to always find one depending on where one lives.

https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/supply-and-demand-ob-gyn-shortage-doximity-alperin

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
The comparison was with other developped countries…… and not Third World ones…. As far as public health is concerned the US, although spending more get poorer resutls. Why ?
On this one point, 700 deaths per year, out of 4 million births, is statistically insignificant. It's a rate of 0.000175.

Women giving birth after an accident could probably account for most of these deaths.

In any event, the tiny number of deaths makes this a harder issue to unpack.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
[MENTION=26350]HCProf[/MENTION].....what serious, permanent injuries can occur during birth (aside from the obvious)? Are these stroke patients who don't return to full functioning?

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
[MENTION=26350]HCProf[/MENTION].....what serious, permanent injuries can occur during birth (aside from the obvious)? Are these stroke patients who don't return to full functioning?
I am not sure. It would depend on where the stoke occurred and the type of stroke.