Ukrainians understood Biden probe was condition for Trump-Zelenskiy talks, says former Ukrainian adviser

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
The Ukrainians have understood from the get-go that an investigation of the Bidens was a condition of a meeting with Trump.

When Ukrainians voted to elect comedian Volodymyr Zelenskiy as their next president in the spring of 2019, the fledgling administration was eager to to have a meeting with Kyiv’s most important benefactor -- the United States, according to a former adviser to Zelenskiy.

But after weeks of discussions with American officials, Ukrainian officials came to understand there was a condition for any meeting with Trump, the former adviser said.

"Ukrainian officials were asking for a meeting with Trump for along time. As I remember, it was a clear fact that Trump wants to meet only if Biden case will be included,” said Serhiy Leshchenko, an anti-corruption advocate and former member of Ukraine's Parliament, who had been a former adviser to Zelenskiy but has recently been distanced from the administration. "This issue was raised many times. I know that Ukrainian officials understood."

Asked if it had been understood as a condition, Leshchenko said, "Yes."
Biden probe was condition for Trump-Zelenskiy talks, says former Ukrainian adviser

Reactions: The Man
Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
Yeah, the Ukrainians are going to fold and spill their guts on this one. More grist for the mill.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
They're implicating themselves if they say so.

Though I understand there's a way lower bar to "corruption" over there. Especially when it's with the intent to obtain military aid from a superpower.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
(The whole story does get a little hard to follow...)

"Leshchenko on Thursday sought to back track his comments
, telling ABC News that he did not know if officials had viewed discussing Biden as a precondition for a meeting and that he had meant it was just obvious that Trump had wanted to talk about it."