Umpires to boycott Serena Williams matches

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
<-- "Meme Boy"
rewatch the video rewatch the video rewatch the video rewatch the video rewatch the video rewatch the video rewatch the video rewatch the video rewatch the video rewatch the video rewatch the video rewatch the video rewatch the video rewatch the video rewatch the video rewatch the video rewatch the video rewatch the video rewatch the video rewatch the video

Let me know if it worked. For example, are you now aware that the umpire did, in fact, try to calmly talk her down, only to be ordered by Williams not to speak to her?
Okay, I'll play.

Have you taken the time to watch the video at all yet? If you had, you'd notice how both people played a part in this event instead of just blindly defending one while ignoring not only the other, but also the part played by the governing body and their lack of oversight.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Okay, I'll play.

Have you taken the time to watch the video at all yet? If you had, you'd notice how both people played a part in this event instead of just blindly defending one while ignoring not only the other, but also the part played by the governing body and their lack of oversight.
I don't like two things: rude, obnoxious, entitled fans; and players, in any sport, abusing game officials for doing their job. Those are the two negatives here, in my book.

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
Okay, I'll play.

Have you taken the time to watch the video at all yet?
As you're well aware, I did. I say you're well aware, because in multiple posts in this thread, including some written to you, I broke down the events in great detail. In one case I even quoted the time signatures from the video for the various events. Obviously, I could only have done that if I watched the video.

Have you taken the time to watch it yet? I'm suspicious that you haven't because some of the things you've said don't make much sense unless you haven't.... for example, you appear eager to fault the umpire for not talking things through with Williams, rather than just giving her a code violation. Yet in the video he can be seen talking to her about it again and again -- very calmly even in the face of her yelling-- up to the point where she orders him not to speak to her.... and then goes right on berating him. What more should he have done?

If you had, you'd notice how both people played a part in this event instead of just blindly defending one while ignoring not only the other, but also the part played by the governing body and their lack of oversight.
This isn't a blind defense. It's a defense that depends entirely on a close observation of the actual events. A blind defense would be if I defended Williams by saying that the umpire didn't try to talk it through before penalizing her, when anyone with eyes could see he did.

As for the "lack of oversight," I honestly don't know what quality control Tennis does for its umpires.... to what extent they try to enforce "mandatory sentencing" versus to what extent they want to trust individual umpires with discretion. I know in other sports there are various attempts to impose consistency among referees -- for example, checking different umpires' strike zones to make sure there aren't big differences between them. However, even then, there wind up being a lot of variations from one to the next. When brainy pitchers and batters go into a game, they know the umpire's strike zone peculiarities and they factor that into their decisions:

An Exploration of MLB Umpires’ Strike Zones | The Hardball Times

In the same way, a brainy tennis player should be able to account for the fact she has a famously by-the-book umpire in a game, and should conduct herself accordingly. If she does so, to a greater extent than her opponent, then it will amount to a slight edge for her.

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
I don't like two things: rude, obnoxious, entitled fans; and players, in any sport, abusing game officials for doing their job. Those are the two negatives here, in my book.
I have a pair of uncles who have worked as refs for amateur sports, and having seen them berated by the fans for just trying to do their job probably influences the way I see this. Also, I have an instinctual desire to side with the little guy, and so when the biggest name in the tennis world berates an umpire I've never heard of, then calls him a sexist, my instinct is to defend him, absent any evidence to support her claims.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
<-- "Meme Boy"
There are way more than two things I don't like. :D

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
<-- "Meme Boy"
As you're well aware, I did. I say you're well aware, because in multiple posts in this thread, including some written to you, I broke down the events in great detail. In one case I even quoted the time signatures from the video for the various events. Obviously, I could only have done that if I watched the video.

Have you taken the time to watch it yet? I'm suspicious that you haven't because some of the things you've said don't make much sense unless you haven't.... for example, you appear eager to fault the umpire for not talking things through with Williams, rather than just giving her a code violation. Yet in the video he can be seen talking to her about it again and again -- very calmly even in the face of her yelling-- up to the point where she orders him not to speak to her.... and then goes right on berating him. What more should he have done?

This isn't a blind defense. It's a defense that depends entirely on a close observation of the actual events. A blind defense would be if I defended Williams by saying that the umpire didn't try to talk it through before penalizing her, when anyone with eyes could see he did.

As for the "lack of oversight," I honestly don't know what quality control Tennis does for its umpires.... to what extent they try to enforce "mandatory sentencing" versus to what extent they want to trust individual umpires with discretion. I know in other sports there are various attempts to impose consistency among referees -- for example, checking different umpires' strike zones to make sure there aren't big differences between them. However, even then, there wind up being a lot of variations from one to the next. When brainy pitchers and batters go into a game, they know the umpire's strike zone peculiarities and they factor that into their decisions:

An Exploration of MLB Umpires’ Strike Zones | The Hardball Times

In the same way, a brainy tennis player should be able to account for the fact she has a famously by-the-book umpire in a game, and should conduct herself accordingly. If she does so, to a greater extent than her opponent, then it will amount to a slight edge for her.
Well you keep telling me to watch a video I've watch 15 times or more so I just thought I'd do the same.

So, have you watched it yet? :D

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
I have a pair of uncles who have worked as refs for amateur sports, and having seen them berated by the fans for just trying to do their job probably influences the way I see this. Also, I have an instinctual desire to side with the little guy, and so when the biggest name in the tennis world berates an umpire I've never heard of, then calls him a sexist, my instinct is to defend him, absent any evidence to support her claims.
My older son, four years old now, but he already says he wants to play hockey when gets old enough lol

And I have read the horror stories about parents at kids hockey games here: Parents brawl in the stands during Ontario minor hockey game

My wife doesn't want me in the stands if he ever does play. Think I'll end up punching people too :D

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
I meant, as related to the matter at hand here, obviously lol

I also don't like many other things. Skinny jeans. Wasps. Chinese-made smartphones. Trophy hunting. Adulterers. Pedophiles. I can go on and on...
Clive Owen. I'm not sure why, but there it is.