Unintended consequences of the birth control mandate

Mar 2012
58,046
39,596
New Hampshire
#1
As part of the Affordable Care Act, the government in 2011 promulgated a regulation with wide support that explicitly discriminates on the basis of sex: the contraceptive mandate. The mandate requires all health plans to provide cost-free birth control, but only for those methods used by women. Though it may sound counterintuitive, the mandate’s exclusion of men harms women—the very group the mandate was designed to benefit—and constitutes illegal sex discrimination. The only equitable remedy is to extend the mandate’s benefits to men.

The mandate’s exclusion of men harms women in several ways. Most practically, it fails to provide cost-free birth control to the large proportion of women who rely on male birth control to prevent conception: Fifteen to 22 percent of women rely on condoms, while 8 to 9 percent rely on their partner’s vasectomy. To put that number in context, more women rely on male contraception than rely on the birth-control pill. The mandate, which was passed to help all women access birth control, simply isn’t fulfilling its goal for these women. And because young women and women of color are more likely to rely on male contraceptives, the mandate’s exclusion of men disproportionately harms them.

All birth control comes with risks and side effects; that’s one of the reasons so many women choose male birth control. The government should not incentivize women to endure these risks over men. Compare tubal ligations (for women) with vasectomies (for men). Both are permanent, surgical contraceptive procedures. Tubal ligation, however, is more invasive and carries with it 20 times the risk of major complications and almost 30 times the risk of postoperative complications. Tubal ligation is also five to 30 times less effective. Nevertheless, tubal ligation is covered without cost-sharing under all health plans, while a quarter of insurers refuse to cover vasectomies.

Finally, like the unconstitutional laws of 50 years ago, the mandate’s exclusion of men perpetuates harmful sex stereotypes. The most obvious one is that birth control is a woman’s responsibility—that women should endure the risks and side effects of birth control and also shoulder the blame if accidents occur. The remedy here is simple: Make the mandate universal so that it applies to men as well as women.

The Unintended Consequences of the Contraceptive Mandate
 
May 2012
68,868
13,747
By the wall
#2
Well its probably because you can pick up a pack of condoms for like 3 bucks at the local mini mart.

Not sure why we have to cover that cost.
 
Mar 2019
762
1,195
TN
#4
15% to 22% percent that rely on condoms and another 8% to 9% rely on their partner’s vasectomy for a total of 24% to 31% of women who rely on MALE birth control. What do the other 69% to 76% percent rely on ??

Your math makes no sense. Neither does the rest of your argument.
 
Likes: OHjulie
Mar 2012
58,046
39,596
New Hampshire
#5
15% to 22% percent that rely on condoms and another 8% to 9% rely on their partner’s vasectomy for a total of 24% to 31% of women who rely on MALE birth control. What do the other 69% to 76% percent rely on ??

Your math makes no sense. Neither does the rest of your argument.
Female birth control: pills, IUDs etc. The point of the article is a large enough group of women rely on contraceptives not covered by the birth control mandate.
 
Likes: pragmatic
Sep 2013
45,603
36,690
On a hill
#8
Planned Parenthood gives free condoms, and so does the clinic I go too. They have baskets of condoms in both waiting areas, and exam rooms with signs inviting people to help themselves.
 
Likes: OHjulie
Jul 2011
80,603
46,146
Memphis, Tn.
#9
Planned Parenthood gives free condoms, and so does the clinic I go too. They have baskets of condoms in both waiting areas, and exam rooms with signs inviting people to help themselves.
There are only four Planned parenthood clinics in the state of Tennessee. One in Nashville, one in Knoxville and two in Memphis.
That's it.

There is ONE in the stste of Missouri.
 
Likes: labrea

Similar Discussions